This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Older au pair/nanny housekeeper

(12 Posts)
bbkl Fri 14-Mar-14 11:54:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

citytocountry Fri 14-Mar-14 13:05:48

My current au pair has to drive. She is 27 (for insurance reasons 25+ is best). I found her through au pair world - you can specify the age you want - I had lots of replies.

EasterHoliday Fri 14-Mar-14 13:41:40

there is an agency called granny au pair - mostly german ladies, retired. Tend to be quite specific in what they're looking for (access to cultural activities mainly). I imagine huge advantage in that they've run their own homes, bought up children, so v experienced but on the flipside, my guess is they may be much less flexible.

Mydelilah Fri 14-Mar-14 14:11:20

Like City I used aupair world and my current and previous aupairs were both 23 when they started. I specified over 21 on my requirements on the site.

bbkl Fri 14-Mar-14 14:51:22

bbkl Fri 14-Mar-14 14:55:22

NomDeClavier Fri 14-Mar-14 19:15:09

Nannies can live in and on the same sharing food basis, although they'll do less chores and there's just been clarification that nannies usually are entitled to minimum wage because they don't tend to join in leisure activities with the family, but then an older au pair may not either....

bbkl Fri 14-Mar-14 20:15:13

NannyK7H Sat 15-Mar-14 07:19:37

Live in nannies tend to do their own thing, so would have maybe their own cupboard in the kitchen that they could buy food for. But some eat with the family too. I had a live in role that had a separate kitchen and I are with the family once a week at most if they were having a takeaway, roast etc. At the moment I don't have my own kitchen so I tend to eat most meals with the family.
You will be able to get somebody long term if you chose nanny/housekeeper rather than au pair. There would be lots of people happy to clean while children are at school. I do a similar thing now.
Plus nanny/housekeepers are probably living in the country already so would potentially have their own car.

weasle Sat 15-Mar-14 07:31:43

Watching with interest as I'm after the same thing.
I'm concerned that an au pair may not be enough for us as DC quite a handful at times! But live in sounds good as I'm similar situation with DH away increasingly and my hours increasing too. Granny au pair sounds interesting.

kalidasa Tue 18-Mar-14 08:07:15

We are interviewing nannies at the moment and I notice that a lot of them started as an aupair/mother's help/nanny with shared charge and some household duties when they first arrived in the UK. That seems to be a standard way of gaining experience. A lot of the CVs I've seen are of women in their late 20s who arrived in their mid-20s so I don't think you'd have a problem finding a slightly more mature candidate who is aiming for a nannying career so not necessarily bound to leave after a year. One we interviewed had for instance started as a mother's help with one child but then done a maternity nurse course while the mother was pregnant with the second, helped while the baby was tiny and started some sole charge from when the baby was a few months old and a year or two later was in a position to apply for proper nanny jobs.

MariePol Tue 08-Apr-14 13:06:34

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now