Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Older au pair/nanny housekeeper

(12 Posts)
bbkl Fri 14-Mar-14 11:54:45

We have a lovely au pair at the moment and it is working out well for us. But she is off to university in the summer and so I need to look for someone new. I'm also considering if we need something slightly different to what we have now (classic teenage au pair, not much sole charge) as our circumstances are/will be changing.

My partner has started to travel a lot for work and is now away for about half the time, often for e.g. two full weeks at once. I'm currently part time but have the opportunity to go full time in about 6 months, when my youngest will start reception.

We have three children and from September they will all be in school, but I may be working more hours and so less available. Our current au pair can't drive, but even if she could her age would make insurance very expensive.

Do more mature people (mid-20s up) want au pair roles? Or would we be better off looking for a nanny/housekeeper who could drive, look after the children when necessary but could do housework so we wouldn't need a separate cleaner? Would a nanny/housekeeper live in on the same terms as an au pair? She has her own room and bathroom, with space for a sofa but no separate living space or space to cook. We provide all food and an oyster card. Would a nanny expect more? How much would we be looking at paying? We're in London but not in the centre.

Finally do agencies/websites for nannies also cater to the kind of role we're looking for? Or would I need to look myself? We found our au pair through a personal recommendation so have no experience of looking. Thanks for your help and wisdom!

citytocountry Fri 14-Mar-14 13:05:48

My current au pair has to drive. She is 27 (for insurance reasons 25+ is best). I found her through au pair world - you can specify the age you want - I had lots of replies.

EasterHoliday Fri 14-Mar-14 13:41:40

there is an agency called granny au pair - mostly german ladies, retired. Tend to be quite specific in what they're looking for (access to cultural activities mainly). I imagine huge advantage in that they've run their own homes, bought up children, so v experienced but on the flipside, my guess is they may be much less flexible.

Mydelilah Fri 14-Mar-14 14:11:20

Like City I used aupair world and my current and previous aupairs were both 23 when they started. I specified over 21 on my requirements on the site.

bbkl Fri 14-Mar-14 14:51:22

Thanks every

bbkl Fri 14-Mar-14 14:55:22

Sorry, fat fingers on phone!
Thanks everyone, looks like we could get an older au pair who could drive quite easily. Do any of your au pairs do cleaning? I'm happy to pay properly for all the hours worked but at the moment we don't ask this of ours apart from eg washing up after tea/tidying up after cooking.
Do nannies, rather than au pairs live as part of the family if they live in? If not, how does it work with food?

NomDeClavier Fri 14-Mar-14 19:15:09

Nannies can live in and on the same sharing food basis, although they'll do less chores and there's just been clarification that nannies usually are entitled to minimum wage because they don't tend to join in leisure activities with the family, but then an older au pair may not either....

bbkl Fri 14-Mar-14 20:15:13

Thanks for that. I don't have a problem with paying fairly. Ideally I'd like a happy employee who would stay for years so I guess this is my issue with an au pair - it tends to just be for a year each time.

NannyK7H Sat 15-Mar-14 07:19:37

Live in nannies tend to do their own thing, so would have maybe their own cupboard in the kitchen that they could buy food for. But some eat with the family too. I had a live in role that had a separate kitchen and I are with the family once a week at most if they were having a takeaway, roast etc. At the moment I don't have my own kitchen so I tend to eat most meals with the family.
You will be able to get somebody long term if you chose nanny/housekeeper rather than au pair. There would be lots of people happy to clean while children are at school. I do a similar thing now.
Plus nanny/housekeepers are probably living in the country already so would potentially have their own car.

weasle Sat 15-Mar-14 07:31:43

Watching with interest as I'm after the same thing.
I'm concerned that an au pair may not be enough for us as DC quite a handful at times! But live in sounds good as I'm similar situation with DH away increasingly and my hours increasing too. Granny au pair sounds interesting.

kalidasa Tue 18-Mar-14 08:07:15

We are interviewing nannies at the moment and I notice that a lot of them started as an aupair/mother's help/nanny with shared charge and some household duties when they first arrived in the UK. That seems to be a standard way of gaining experience. A lot of the CVs I've seen are of women in their late 20s who arrived in their mid-20s so I don't think you'd have a problem finding a slightly more mature candidate who is aiming for a nannying career so not necessarily bound to leave after a year. One we interviewed had for instance started as a mother's help with one child but then done a maternity nurse course while the mother was pregnant with the second, helped while the baby was tiny and started some sole charge from when the baby was a few months old and a year or two later was in a position to apply for proper nanny jobs.

MariePol Tue 08-Apr-14 13:06:34

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now