Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Nannies and cars...

(32 Posts)
MaryHughes Tue 11-Mar-14 20:36:29

I'm thinking of returning to work in September and will be looking for a nanny to look after my children (2.5yrs and 9 months). I live in a large house with a garden in the countryside with only a few other houses in walking distance. If I were to employ a nanny I would be very worried about the nanny driving the children anywhere because I would worry about car accidents. My mum has said I will struggle to keep a nanny if she is not allowed to drive the children anywhere because she will get bored stuck at home with no other adults to talk to all day. I would only be looking for a nanny three days a week and so it wouldn't matter to the children that they didn't go out on those three days - they are more than happy to hang around the house, play in the garden and go on the odd walk down the lane to feed the ducks.

Does anyone have any views on whether a nanny would find it unacceptable to have to stay around the house and garden rather than being able to take the children out and about?

nannynick Wed 12-Mar-14 17:25:38

How does insurance work when swaping cars? Named driver on each policy? What about difference in cover needed - nanny needs more than social/domestic.

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 12-Mar-14 18:05:18

I added one mb - they paid the extra of £37

Weirdly enough it was cheaper to add her to the end of my insurance 8mths then to put her on it for 3mths

slowcomputer Thu 13-Mar-14 10:41:33

You'd need to be a named driver on her insurance if you do the swap cars thing and her on yours.

Crosseyedcat Thu 13-Mar-14 13:00:18

sounds idyllic mrswishywashy!

Crowen85 Thu 13-Mar-14 18:42:33

I think you will struggle to find someone willing to take a job like this. My current job was based in Central London And I was out and about everyday.

My bosses are American and In January were relocated back to the USA. I agreed to accompany them and help them find an American replacement.

Now they live in the Philadelphia suburbs and there are no sidewalks and I can't drive over here. So basically I can't go anywhere because it was only for three months I'm fine with this but no way would I take a job where this was the norm. BecAgsw I love the baby, but I'm bored and so is he! I have a driver actually takd v me places but without that freedome to drive or go somewhere it's aweful and it's only becagse my boss is so lovely I agreed to this.

Plus I grew up on a farm in the middle of the country and hell no if you get a nanny she needs to be able to drive!

HSMMaCM Thu 13-Mar-14 19:01:18

Do you think a nanny would be safer driving their own car or your strange car?

Artandco Thu 13-Mar-14 19:07:35

No.

Also in terms of safety, say if one of your children becomes ill during the day, or needs to be taken to a and e for stitches etc.. Surely it's better they can head straight there than wait for you to return.

Or they decide to make a birthday cake but have ran out of eggs

Or children get invited to parties during the day

Or 101 other reasons its best not to be isolated

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now