Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Would this appeal to an au pair?

(12 Posts)
IndiaBound Tue 11-Mar-14 15:51:08

Hi all,

Second child is due end of April and my better half is itching to get back to work (great parent but getting very bored). There is a great job waiting as well as long as they can get back by August.

At that point we hope to be in a new house in Wokingham (nr Reading) which ideally has a very large outbuilding in the garden, about 10seconds walk from the main house.

We are thinking we could convert it so that it was a self-contained apartment with own kitchenette, shower room and toilet and studio room. We would furnish it very well and supply TV, PC, WiFi, etc.

The thing is, come August, we will have a three to four month old and a 15 month old to look after.

Are there au pairs suitable for these age groups?

If so, I will work hours that probably mean I am out of the house from 7.30am to 6.30pm most days. My partner will work shift patterns which mean they will probably have a day off in the week, and either leave about 10am in the morning, or arrive back about 3pm the other 4 days of the week.

So, we need someone to look after the DC from either 7.30am to 3pm or 10am to 6.30pm 4 days of the week - which I calculate at 8 hours a day and that therefore is 32 hours a week. In addition, we would like to have at least one included babysitting night per week.

What sort of rate should we be looking to pay, and do you think the investment to convert the outbuilding into a self-contained home (although the au pair would obviously be invited to dine with us) is a bonus or are we better off just providing the largest spare bedroom (which is en suite) and a TV and PC within it? I guess we were hoping that with a separate place, the au pair would be around less in the evening.

Phew - long post but hopefully some of you have some advice (as normal ;-)

CookieDoughKid Tue 11-Mar-14 16:11:20

The self-contained home would only be worth doing IF it will add value to your home (when you come to sell in the future). It will add great lifestyle options too especially when your children are over i.e., sleepovers/teenage dens etc.

The decently furnished bedroom and ensuite is otherwise adequate (which is what I have). Currently I pay my aupair £80 a week to do 32 hours with one night of babysitting weekly and that's fine (I'm in Oxfordshire). I've had 4 aupairs and they've all accepted the terms on offer.

However, your children are very young (mine are toddler age, x2) and thus, it might be very tiring from your aupair. It depends on the aupair you hire if they are really into the job and OK with looking after young children. Alternatively, you may want to offer a bit more or additional perks on top.

Hope this helps!

OutragedFromLeeds Tue 11-Mar-14 16:12:02

Absolutely not suitable for an au pair, the children are far too young and it's too many hours. With children that young you need an experienced nanny.

Convert the outbuilding into an apartment and you'll have an attractive nanny job. I think you'd be looking about �250 a week maybe? Check with local nanny agencies to get an estimate.

CookieDoughKid Tue 11-Mar-14 16:23:54

Yes, just reading back a bit more (sorry I was in a rush!), your youngest is very young and should be given to a more experienced aupair (and paid more) or nanny.

I've come across some very experienced aupairs (my current one was an intensive care nurse in a pediatric unit) and they come to the UK for various reasons - namely to improve their English skills and some to be a stepping stone to employment.

Given that your children are so young, I would try to find a more qualified childcarer.

YoniMatopoeia Tue 11-Mar-14 16:29:49

Agree with the above. Your children are too young for an au pair.

Crowen85 Tue 11-Mar-14 19:12:06

An au pair is not experienced or qualified to look after children under three sole charge. You need a nanny.

Crowen85 Tue 11-Mar-14 19:12:51

An au pair is not experienced or qualified to look after children under three sole charge. You need a nanny.

Crowen85 Tue 11-Mar-14 19:13:51

250 quid a week? Yeah you won't get a nanny for that. Try 300+

OutragedFromLeeds Tue 11-Mar-14 19:54:55

Don't forget it's only 32 hours a week (about half what a nanny normally works) is outside of London and comes with a self contained apartment. I reckon about 250 is reasonable. An older nanny looking to cut back on their hours would probably go for it.

IndiaBound Wed 12-Mar-14 10:35:33

Thanks for all the useful advice.

What hours does a nanny normally expect to work?

Also, are the prices you quoted the "all in" price or would be in an employment situation and therefore be liable to employers' NI, or would the nanny also expect the amount to be take home and no taxes for her/him?

OutragedFromLeeds Wed 12-Mar-14 13:55:55

A live-in nanny will often work 50-60 hours a week.

You will be the employer so will be responsible for tax NI and employers NI. Call some local agencies to get an idea of GROSS wages in the area.

You may have to pay more than the hours you actually use, because although they only need to work 32 hours a week, they need to be available full time (in order to cover the different shifts). If it was fixed hours it would be cheaper.

Do you need a driver?

Crowen85 Thu 13-Mar-14 18:34:47

True didn't take that in to account.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now