This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nannytax vs NannyWage - which would you choose?

(9 Posts)
katalex Fri 07-Mar-14 12:27:18

I'm looking into hiring a nanny and I am new to this so I don't really know much about it. I've been looking at Nannytax and Nannywage for contract, payroll etc and I can see there is a large difference in the annual fee. I was wondering what Nannytax provides that accounts for the difference in the annual fee. Would anyone recommend using Nannywage?

As a background, we are looking to hire a nanny for approximately 18 hours per week before and after school, term time only. Any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks.

nannynick Fri 07-Mar-14 13:13:33

Level of advice I expect is the difference, nannytax has been doing things for a long time.

Call them both and see how much info you can get, term time only can be complicated pay and holiday entitlement wise.

Are you needing weekly payslips? Weekly is more admin so some payroll companies charge more others include it.

Some have online systems for payslips, others send paper - any preferenxe there?

Do you need their help creating the contract?

slowcomputer Sat 08-Mar-14 16:59:48

I use PAYEfor nannies, half the price of nannytax and very good. I know loads of people who use them.

katalex Mon 10-Mar-14 12:30:46

Thanks for the recommendation slowcomputer.

Hi nannynick. I really don't know what's expected. Do most nannies accept monthly payslips? Online in fine for us but we don't mind either way.

Regarding contracts - I've seen templates online. Can we just fill in the details and we both sign it?

Regarding term-time being complicated pay and holiday entitlement wise. Would you mind telling me what the complications are please? We really need to understand everything before making a decision.

Thanks.

PenguinsEatSpinach Mon 10-Mar-14 12:34:43

We used PAYE for nannies too. Seemed to be brand recognition that allowed nanny tax to charge more.

Term time only can be complicated because you still need to give a holiday entitlement, but it is pro-rated to reflect weeks worked per year, you need to think about when the holiday can be taken and also how pay will work (will your nanny have widely varying pay cheques, or will you even it out across the year). I'm involved with running a term-time only pre-school and am very thankful that our payroll agency sorts all that out for me!

TheGreatHunt Mon 10-Mar-14 15:09:34

Nanny tax are more expensive and "slicker"

PAYE offer a basic service and charged me more for reissuing extra payslips. I thought that was a bit hmm

But they respond to queries quickly.

nannynick Mon 10-Mar-14 16:05:36

>Do most nannies accept monthly payslips?
Yes, though some may want paying weekly. You need to give a payslip every time you pay someone.

>Regarding contracts - I've seen templates online. Can we just fill in the details and we both sign it?
Yes but the template contracts may not cover everything that is needed, so getting advice for what to include does not harm.

>Regarding term-time being complicated pay and holiday entitlement wise. Would you mind telling me what the complications are please?

How much holiday someone should get as a minimum.
How the pay is split - such as if it is given for work done, or split over a year.
What happens if pay split over a year but someone leaves part way through a year.
What happens about calculating holiday if someone leaves part way through a year.

Have a look through other message threads about Term Time only workers, as that will help you to work out what holiday is required.
Employment Issues: Holidays for term time only staff

slowcomputer Mon 10-Mar-14 16:26:01

PAYE email the payslips so I'm not sure why they'd need to be reissued unless you had deleted the email. For a princely £20 per year more you get a standard contract and access to an employment lawyer if you need it. They have been very good so far - used them for 6 months and have needed advice on annualised hours and nanny sick pay.

EasterHoliday Mon 10-Mar-14 16:27:50

PAYE do mine and they're very good, as Slowcomputer says. They've answered a hundred and one queries of that nature for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now