This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny came to work hungover - WWYD?

(53 Posts)
Cosmia Mon 03-Mar-14 19:20:12

Our very reliable and dependable nanny turned up for work this morning (on time) and seemed a bit subdued. I asked about her weekend and she said that she had had a sad time as a friend's relative had died so she was consoling her. When I was chatting to her I noticed that she really smelled strongly of "old" booze, that smell that you get after a big session, rather than being drunk.

I asked if she had been drinking a lot last night and she said she had but didn't think she had drunk that much. I felt that if I could smell it, she clearly had put a fair amount away and was substantially hungover so wasn't happy to leave her caring for my child (a very active toddler incidentally, not that it makes a difference). I sent her home but don't know what to do now.

I totally get that what people do in their own time is their own business BUT if it impacts on the quality of care that they provide, then it becomes my problem.

Should I consider that everyone makes mistakes, read her the riot act and hope it never happens again? Sack her on the spot? I just don't know. (The thought of having to nanny hunt again is dire but that isn't a good enough reason for keeping someone who is substandard).

Anyone had this? Got any advice to share? All guidance gratefully received!

Thanks

minipie Thu 06-Mar-14 18:26:31

I'm with the majority. I'd be apologising profusely and hoping I could hang on to such a reliable nanny.

LEMmingaround Thu 06-Mar-14 18:26:49

I bet she is searching the pages of the nannying times as we speak.

OutragedFromLeeds Thu 06-Mar-14 18:28:20

So we should all take the day off whenever we're not 100%?! Teachers, childminders, nannies, nursery nurses all off whenever they have a sniffle/headache/are a bit tired? I'm not sure that's practical tbh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now