Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Looking for a nanny

(11 Posts)
macogretme Mon 03-Mar-14 15:12:43

Hi, I have just registered to mumsnet. Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question. I am exploring childcare options and looking for a nanny for my 10 month old son. I live in Orpington, southeast London. Any suggestion or comments about recruiting a nanny would be highly appreciated. Thanks

wadi1983 Mon 03-Mar-14 15:59:57

When.are you looking for a nanny from?

websites to try

childcare.co.uk
greatcare.com.co.uk
babysitter.co.uk
gumtree

Cindy34 Mon 03-Mar-14 20:13:17

Consider using a nanny agency.

Look through posts on here about the cost of nannies, including payroll, typical weekly kitty amounts, plus threads about employing a nanny such as about holiday entitlement, how much choice to give nanny in when they take holiday, things to do to have a great employer employee relationship.

Is a nanny your only option? For care of one child it is rather costly. However nannies will often do more than just childcare, they will do child related duties around the home. So consider what you would be wanting someone to do so you can create a job description. Start finish times, number of days per week, live in or live out, all sorts of things to include in job description and some of it you will include in an advert.

macogretme Mon 03-Mar-14 21:14:02

Thanks for the replies. I am aware of that hiring a nanny is the most expensive among the childcare options. We did try the childminder, which didn't go very well. My son is currently going to the nursery. I must say I am not really happy with the nursery. That's why I am exploring the nanny option.

wadi1983 Wed 05-Mar-14 22:35:49

when.are you looking for a nanny from?

baffleddad Fri 07-Mar-14 08:10:37

have you found one yet? i know a girl who is looking to work in the uk to improve her english, she is a keen worker & good with my kids..

HappyAsEyeAm Fri 07-Mar-14 13:15:41

Nannylink is an agency which covers your area.

southwestEmmie Wed 12-Mar-14 16:15:27

I think it's good to go for an older English nanny for longer hours 50 hours a week and. ages 35-45. because this is normally a career for them and not a side line or just passing there time while they are here. If you only need a few days or a few hours then go for girls from different countries. Go for what I call a professional nanny. This will give you the best quality childcare you need. Also you need to be able to imagine this person in your house. Someone that will make you feel comfortable with if your at home with them on occasion. Someone you can become good friends with. Rember they are looking after your pride and joy so someone from the start you can feel you can trust. It helps if they live local or grown up in the town you live as your get a a feeling of who there family is. Don't also go for someone who is cheaper. You wouldn't cut corners in other things so I don't know why people will in childcare. Good luck in your search. Simply child care.com is a very good website to look on or post your own advert too.

OutragedFromLeeds Wed 12-Mar-14 19:32:28

Ageist and racist! Wow.

OP choose someone you have a good feeling about, who has good experience and great references. Their age and ethnicity is immaterial.

holz20 Tue 01-Jul-14 17:05:40

hi have you found a nanny yet?

Hi my name is Hollie i am 20 years old currently looking after a 11month old girl in Greenford only on Saturdays but looking for something with more hours. I also do adhoc baby sitting for a 4year old girl and 1 year old boy brother and sister I have looked after the little girl since I was 16 when she was around 6 months old when ever her mum needed me took her out for days gave her lunch went to parks and this continued her mum then had another baby which I first looked after when he was 3 months old. I have them both together some times its the whole day other times just evenings so I am experienced in looking after two children at once. I am looking for full time or part time hours during the week (Monday-Friday) I live in south east London but willing to travel all over London as I have a train&tube station and a bus station next to me making it easy for me to travel. I am 1 bus away from Greenwich I don't drive I also do not smoke. I have a recent enhanced CRB check and first aid qualified until November but I am going to update it. I do not have any childcare qualifications but i do have experience and you could not fine anyone who loves spending time with children as much as me. I'm a very fun and bubbly person not afraid to be silly and play with the children go out for walks or go to activities but can also be firm. Cv and references available upon request

Marylou62 Wed 02-Jul-14 18:07:49

Holz 20...if I was looking for a nanny you would be top of my list. You sound like a natural....and I am a nanny of 30+ years. Good luck in finding a good job.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now