This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CMs- how much do you ask for up front?

(22 Posts)
TheNightIsDark Sat 01-Mar-14 22:48:11

Financially we are fucked so having to go back to work after mat leave 2 months early hmm

I've found a lovely CM who will have DS1 (5) and DS2 (6 months) from 7:30-4:30, do school runs and all meals for £38 a day (is this good?)

She wants a month upfront. We cannot do this. I can just about scrape together 2 weeks but I'm wondering if it would be too cheeky to ask this.

What do you usually ask for?

NickNacks Sat 01-Mar-14 22:50:51

I also ask for a month upfront.

If you can afford two weeks then I would accept that but after that is used up I would invoice again for the next two weeks or month. I won't work in arrears.

Yes £38pd is very good.

TheNightIsDark Sat 01-Mar-14 22:52:48

It would be 2 weeks then once the tax credits come in I could pay monthly in advance if that makes sense.

I'll broach it with her!

NickNacks Sat 01-Mar-14 22:55:32

Hmm but what if the TCs take longer?

TheNightIsDark Sat 01-Mar-14 22:57:12

Wages should be in by then. Going back second week of April and owed annual leave so if I get that put onto March pay I can just about do the month upfront.

NickNacks Sat 01-Mar-14 22:58:39

I think you should def talk to her. I would be open to a compromise. Good luck :-)

NickNacks Sat 01-Mar-14 23:02:14

I think you should def talk to her. I would be open to a compromise. Good luck :-)

HSMMaCM Sun 02-Mar-14 03:37:53

I ask for a month, but talk to her, because I did make different arrangements for one parent.

I still made sure I was paid in advance though.

Nicadooby Sun 02-Mar-14 04:11:54

Monthly here too but like others I've made a compromise too for a couple of parents

oneintheeye Sun 02-Mar-14 09:37:32

I ask for 2-4 weeks up front deposit, held over to the end of the contract.
Non refundable if the contract is cancelled within the first six months of contract.

I try to tailor the contract and terms to something mutually agreeable and affordable for myself and the client. Its a vicious circle isn't it - need to go back to work but need to find the money to put the deposit down!

Talk to your minder and explain that you cannot get together a month and would she accept two weeks perhaps?

TwittyMcTwitterson Sun 02-Mar-14 12:43:17

I've had two CM now. Because I was already back at work it wasn't an issue but both mentioned they were flexible. The nursery were flexible for first month after return to work as long as I was always ahead with payments.

I've inly spoken to one CM who was unreasonable but she wanted one months payment before start and one month to bank so that she definitely had four weeks payment to cover the 4 weeks notice period. I simply said 'that's far too much to ask. It's not easy to get such a large sum' and she went hugely on the defensive. Clearly it had been an issue for others too

Tanith Sun 02-Mar-14 13:14:36

I'm guessing that the childminder had recently been bitten by a non-payer, Eveesmummy sad it does badly shake your trust for a while.

TwittyMcTwitterson Sun 02-Mar-14 14:28:38

Yes, I think so too. Perhaps not recently as she explained all her current parents had done this.

I recently had a CM quit and only gave me two weeks notice instead of the contracted four. I did everything in my power to prevent similar happening with the new CM but to give £1600 is a lot to expect especially with no flexibility shock

Mimishimi Wed 05-Mar-14 05:31:26

I had to pay a month in advance for DS which was a new policy for them that year apparently. I can totally understand why ...

tinyturtletim Wed 05-Mar-14 11:54:16

You could ask her if you can pay her weekly for a few weeks then go to monthly?

minderjinx Wed 05-Mar-14 12:00:55

I take a month fees up front. Like others I have been burned, and by the sort of people you would least think would do something like that - I don't really trust my own judgement now sad.

foolonthehill Thu 06-Mar-14 11:44:36

this year I got totally stung by 2 families who booked places and asked not to pay in advance due to financial issues. Both then failed to show for their start dates in January leaving me without income for 6 weeks as I tried to chase them/fill myu spaces

they have totally f*'^ed my normally flexible and helpful approach for other parents returning to work...I have always accepted people at face value.

Hope your CM feels more trusting than me!

Eletheomel Thu 06-Mar-14 19:51:29

My CM has never asked for any money in advance. We had about 10 phasing in sessions (all free) then I just paid her at the end of the month.
Maybe she's unusual? (my CM charges 3.50 per hour and provides snacks but doesn't do meals)

TwittyMcTwitterson Fri 07-Mar-14 19:38:57

I've just thought however, I was quite severely messed about myself by a childminder. I had two weeks to find a new childminder for my notoriously clingy DD. I texted one I had previously visited when I was first going back to work. I asked if she had spaces. She said yes but only from a certain date and that she was away for the weekend and would see if she could fit DD in from the date requested but she couldn't see a problem. On the Monday I heard nothing. On the Tuesday she said family death but was sure it would be fine and she'd let me know when she was back for settling in visits. After I had a week left and she wasn't replying I couldn't wait any more and made other arrangements. I am almost 100 per vent happy with current CM but I wonder what would happen if I couldn't find anyone due to her messing me around. hmm

AMI88 Sun 09-Mar-14 17:16:00

I don't charge upfront, but, I charge on a weekly basis in advance for that week. I find this works best for me, so if I am faced with excuses on a Monday morning, I'm not without a large chunk of money. Every CM is different, some areas CM are in higher demand than others, so this can also have an impact on how much they charge upfront.

ZuleikaD Tue 11-Mar-14 06:58:16

£38 per day for both children including meals?? Blimey you've got a bargain - I'd be charging in the region of £75 a day for that.

I am always paid at the beginning of the month.

In terms of how much I would charge to hold a place, if the child is starting in less than a month then I ask for a £100 deposit to come off the first month's fees. If it's more than a month away then I charge a 50% retainer, though I have charged less if it's someone I'm confident in.

minderjinx Tue 11-Mar-14 15:56:36

Zuleika is right - £38 for both children is very cheap. I'm guessing you have either reached an agreement with the CM by now or she will have reoffered the places.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now