This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nannies- giving direction vs leaving them to it!

(9 Posts)
Winterton Mon 10-Feb-14 18:20:26

Another question from a first time nanny employer! Should I specify the kinds of things I'd like her to take the kids to or give some ideas and leave her to it. For example, alongside ' official' nursery and swim class etc I'd like our nanny to take them to the story time at the library once a fortnight, to playground or similar every day as long as weather ok.

What's the etiquette?

grabaspoon Mon 10-Feb-14 18:52:57

I am a nanny/

In a new job I am happy if a boss gives me some ideas of where they'd like me to take the children but I also like the responsibility of finding groups we like and having the autonomy to not go to the park if we're too engrossed in an activity etc

nannynick Mon 10-Feb-14 18:58:55

Give some ideas of local things if the nanny is not local. If the nanny is a local they may well know of things that you do not.

If you want them to go somewhere every day, then tell them that.

See how it goes for a few weeks... then see if you need to dictate things or not.

Are they using their own car? If so, make sure they are completing a mileage log (needed so that you pay their mileage) and from that you should be able to see where they are going.

MillyMollyMama Mon 10-Feb-14 18:59:02

My children enjoyed certain activities and my Nanny continued to take them. She also had ideas of her own and that was ok too. If your children love a certain activity, they are not likely to want to stop. Just don't direct her every minute of the day!

nannynick Mon 10-Feb-14 19:13:44

How old are your children? Children are like sponges when young and can really like things you may not think of doing. On days where there is no pre-school/school I have asked children what they want to do... we have ended up visiting a castle, walking by a canal seeing canal boats, going on a train, bus, small boat across the Thames, going to various museums. We have travelled miles... to the south coast from Surrey for example.

Maybe consider how far you will let them go, try not to be too restrictive. Trips out cost money though, so the activities budget will probably dictate what they do.

NannyLouise29 Mon 10-Feb-14 21:59:16

I love the autonomy of being told that it's up to me to arrange activities. However, I like guidelines ie. here is our budget, happy for you to be out and about everyday but please don't exceed it. Or, we prefer the children to do home based activities three times a week. At least then I am able to make decisions within parameters.

One thing I hate (and would drive me from a nanny job) is apart from activities already attended when I started, being told how to fill every minute of my day - would drive me bonkers.

OutragedFromLeeds Tue 11-Feb-14 14:02:46

Give her some ideas and leave her to it. Some nannies do need direction, but I'd start off assuming she can organise herself. Most nannies don't like to be micromanaged.

Tell her you'd like them to go to story time, but give her the freedom to do something different if she has other ideas.

I think asking her to make sure they get out/get some fresh air everyday is fine, but specifying it needs to be the playground is too much imo. There are so many different ways to get that fresh air (boat trip, garden activities, treasure hunt walk, local farm etc. etc.) that it's a bit limiting, maybe she'll have some ideas that you haven't thought of?

wadi1983 Tue 11-Feb-14 14:17:53

playground everyday... Bit boring isn't it....

Winterton Tue 11-Feb-14 20:21:54

Thanks guys for all these, makes good sense, will def give some ideas then leave her well and truly to it smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now