This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

child minding apps

(14 Posts)
kaffkooks Mon 10-Feb-14 18:20:09

I have an excellent childminder but the only problem is that the daily activity sheets for my 14 month old son only have a couple of lines on them. I know when I talk to her that she does a lot more with him than is on the sheet but she is dyslexic so it takes her too long to write things down and she is self conscious about her bad spelling. She finds reading and writing on her iPad a lot easier so is there an app she could use for daily sheets? Could she just send me an e-mail every day or once a week with what's been happening? Any suggestions?

HSMMaCM Mon 10-Feb-14 18:49:53

I'm sure an email would be fine

almaradlu Mon 10-Feb-14 18:49:59

I dont know of any Apps, but as a childminder I wanted to say how lovely you are by offering to help and support her smile smile smile

HSMMaCM Mon 10-Feb-14 19:07:59

Ask her what would be easiest. Texts throughout the day, email at the end of the day, selection of photos. As long as she lets you know what she does, she doesn't have to write it down at all for you. She will have plenty of admin work to do compiling a learning journey for your child anyway.

I also think it's lovely that you are thinking of your CM.

Tanith Mon 10-Feb-14 20:00:56

Yep! There are a few. My favourite is called Daily Connect. It takes a bit of time to set up but then it's plain sailing.

TheScience Mon 10-Feb-14 21:38:23

Do you really need her to write everything down if you can talk to her confused

kaffkooks Mon 10-Feb-14 22:10:17

TheScience she has 3 of her own children and between 1 and 3 mindees. She doesn't have time to talk to me every time I pick my son up. Also my husband does pick up most days and he is rubbish at passing on anything that cm has mentioned.

HSM what is a learning journey? Never heard of it. I'm in Scotland so maybe it's not something we have here.

HSMMaCM Mon 10-Feb-14 22:20:35

Oh. Not sure about Scotland. Sorry. Down here we have to record children's development against learning goals and do regular observations.

Tanith Tue 11-Feb-14 07:59:25

Can I just point out that there's no obligation for a childminder to do a learning journey? It's helpful for many as a means of recording development and progress, but it's not a requirement.
Childminders must be able to discuss development and evidence what they do and many do find a LJ the best way for them to do this.

HSMMaCM Tue 11-Feb-14 11:16:52

I didn't know that Tanith. How could someone check progress with no records or observations though?

starlight1234 Tue 11-Feb-14 11:25:53

The thing is while all nice..I write about 1/2 a page for my mindees ..I would rather spend more time playing with the children than writing about it

wednesdaygirl Wed 12-Feb-14 08:54:09

I whatsapp photos and whatsapp/text important stuff

Cookethenook Wed 12-Feb-14 09:41:39

I've been taught in all of my eyfs training that while its not essential to have learning journeys, it is good practice as it is the best way to show progress.

We were also told that you don't need to do loads, as it says in eyfs. Eg, if a child reads recognises the word 'you' for the first time, you literally need to put that down, how it links to eyfs, next learning goal and perhaps a picture if its relevant. 3 sentences at the most for that.

Watching with interest. I'd be concerned about safety though. Are they secure?

mrsthomsontobe Thu 13-Feb-14 12:41:22

Tanith do parents need to pay for and install the app too just looked it up n it's looks good

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now