This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

24/7 shared care temporary nanny. What to pay?

(27 Posts)
pinkdaffodil23 Sun 09-Feb-14 19:41:39

Hi
After looking on the internrt and not finding any information am hoping someone here can help me.
What do you think would be a fair weekly rate for this:
Nanny to live in temporarily with myself and three children anywhere between 2-4 months, both shared and sole charge. We are away from home and staying in another property for this time and considering taking someone from home with us. Which would mean she is away from family etc for the time they are with us
They would be required to do the early starts with the children somedays. Otherdays they would start at 7.30 am. During the day whilst i work i would like her to occupy the children take them out etc so plenty of sole charge although im around if needed but do have work to do.. The children do often wake in the night so if she hears them I would like her to help with attending to them as well. Other duties to include sorting baby bottles, preparing meals and helping to keep house tidy.
Thanks

Artandco Sun 09-Feb-14 19:45:11

Based on £10 per hr, £240 per 24 hrs

240x7 = £1680

Do you really need someone 24/7?

24/5 with weekends free would be less. Or just daytime hours.

mrswishywashy Sun 09-Feb-14 21:12:29

I think it would be very hard to get a 24/7 nanny for such a length of time, six days would be doable.

When I do 24/6 I'd charge £200/24 hours and as I'm self employed I'd pay my own taxes. If it's too far for me to go home for day off I'd charge a £50 per week inconvenience fee [usually I charge £50/24 hours whilst traveling with a family]. I'd also expect parent to be understanding that if I'm up in night for children then I may plan a more low key day or take a nap when children nap. I'd expect family to pay full board costs and all travel costs as well.

I'd want a very clear contract drawing up regarding child related duties and want the family to be realistic about how the time away would work. If you did really want 24/7 it would be premium price for me and I'd want a minimum £1500 per week which I've had in the past whilst traveling with clients.

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 09-Feb-14 21:52:04

how old are your children and maybe the nanny can help with their sleeping probs and help to get them sleeping through the night

then you would only need say 7-7

its hard doing 24hrs and shared care as then never sure if you want the nanny to take over, or you as the nanny let the parents do xyz

so def a contract stating what days/hours/duties would help

you say some days would be early starts, and others 7.30am - what time is an early start?

but yes its gonna be costly - if i am on call over nights and a baby who will wake then i charge for every hour, so for a 24hrs gonna be 200/240 a day

pinkdaffodil23 Mon 10-Feb-14 07:01:16

We do have soneone that i have been talking to about coming but we are just very unsure as to what is fair to pay. If we said she just helped me between 7am and 7pm what would be a fair rate. And yes it is to far for her to go home so would be with us for 7 days a week

mrswishywashy Mon 10-Feb-14 11:07:36

Does she need to work the 7th day? That will make a difference in pay. I'd say �150 per work day minimum for 12 hour day this is self employed rates as different for employed person. Although if shared accomm and she was woken by children I'd take that into account too.

pinkdaffodil23 Mon 10-Feb-14 14:25:35

It is to far to go home just for the 7th day so she would be with us all week for between 2 and 4 months. We can say hours between 7am and 7pm, she wouldn't have sole charge of the children for the whole time as I would like to be involved and do things with the children aswell.

Artandco Mon 10-Feb-14 14:29:54

If only 7am-7pm mon-fri you could pay around £500 net. If mon-sun 7-7 i would say £750 net. weekends are higher pay usually. Being away wouldn't affect her having sat/ sun off as she would just do something in area ( walk/ read/ study) during free time. 4 months of 24/7 wouldn't appeal to most as would be tired with no free time.

OutragedFromLeeds Mon 10-Feb-14 20:37:44

Just because she's with you/can't go home on the weekend, doesn't mean she needs to work every day. I don't think there are many people that could put up with those hours tbh, she'll need a break.

pinkdaffodil23 Fri 14-Feb-14 19:51:19

Thanks for your replys yes thats true outraged. Wasnt sure what to do for the best really

bbcessex Fri 14-Feb-14 20:11:54

I would offer a weekly wage, rather than an hourly rate, as the hours could fluctuate.

The rate to pay will depend on who you have in mind.
Are they a nanny already? Are they your nanny already? Are you going to have to offer a premium to 'entice' them to be away from home for a while, or will they jump at the chance? do you have many candidates, or is it not an attractive job?

I know there should be a 'rate for the job', but in my experience as a nanny employer, I don't think that's always the case.

The rate you pay, doesn't necessarily equate to the 'value' you receive, you can pay less and get a quality nanny, same as you can pay more and get an adequate nanny. NB - I don't mean pay rubbish money, just 'lower end'.

WLondonNanny Sat 15-Feb-14 02:02:46

You have to understand that for us, it's really hard doing nights then straight into a full day. I always find when travelling, and I do a night, I can never go into a deep sleep like I usually do, and wake up at every little noise the baby makes. Then normally I take the child into her parents for a few hours while I go back and sleep for a few hours, still paid for! As nannys, we are always constantly switched on when away, it's a lot harder for us to relax!

Nannyme1 Sat 15-Feb-14 20:07:17

I agree with WLondonNanny, when in charge over night most of us can't switch off and get into that deep sleep so it is exhausting work and it needs to be paid for.

For me my last long period 24/6 job I was on 850 week to lose my entire week I wouldn't do it for less than 1000 to be honest.

It does depend where you are going, you can't really say you can have the weekends off (so you pay a lower rate) and there is no where for nanny to go and nothing for them to do.

OutragedFromLeeds Sat 15-Feb-14 20:16:39

If it was me I'd appreciate a day off even if there was nowhere to go tbh. A lie-in, some time to read/mumsnet, chat to friends on Skype, a proper nights sleep etc.

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 15-Feb-14 21:38:42

How old are children? As I said previously if they sleep through the night (baby an exception) then less hours is doable

Agree 24/7 is exhausting and a day off possibly 2 if doing 24hrs is needed prob sleep all day

The day after I've finished 3/4 nights in a row (and worked days) I'm ready to collapse and when home I sleep souks for 6+hrs

pinkdaffodil23 Sun 16-Feb-14 18:45:19

Blondes the children will be 9months 3 and 4 baby sleeps through though were as eldest sometimes get up early.
Bbcessex you have got me the person we have askes to come is our current nanny which is why we are so unsure on what to pay. Some of my friends have said to keep her wage the same with no extra but i know she wouldnt agree to that so trying to find a fare rate.
Having a whole day off possibly wouldnt work as there is always things to do with the three of them even if its just helping clean up etc. Like i said in the week she would have more sole charge than at weekend as i still have to try and work where as the weekends will be more shared care.
I understand its hard being away we have spoke about that part.
Thanks for all your input so far

pinkdaffodil23 Sun 16-Feb-14 18:46:31

Oh and yes i am looking for a set weekly rate not a hourly rate or anything.

OutragedFromLeeds Sun 16-Feb-14 19:16:06

Can you not clean up after them for one day a week?! I don't doubt that there are always things to do, but maybe you could do them when it's her day off? Does she work 24/7 currently? If not how do you deal with weekends now?

pinkdaffodil23 Sun 16-Feb-14 19:25:36

No she doesnt work 24/7 at the minute
Im just trying to work out how it will work logistically. We had agreed that whilst away she will help when things need doing but ofcourse wouldnt be working the whole time. She isnt the kind of person that can just sit back and not do anything to help either. These are her words not ours. Weekends she wont be needed as much as said before but will probably be asked to babysit on the saturday late afternoon/evening. So we wont to take all this in to count when coming to a fair price.

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 16-Feb-14 19:39:38

if all children sleep through, then why do you need possible 24hr care? why not have 7-7 and maybe 10-2 at weekends or work a few hours sat and have sun off

and yes surely you can cope with one day by yourself

can i ask why you are going so far away from home for 3/4mths?

pinkdaffodil23 Sun 16-Feb-14 19:46:04

They dont always sleep through baby does but the eldest will sometimes get up a couple of times in the night. I said earlier in the post i am happy to do hours of 7 - 7. With regards to weekends i know the children will end up waking nanny up early still when they wake up as she has said she is a light sleeper and once has been woken up she cant easily fall back to sleep. So feel that she needs to be compensated for that.

pinkdaffodil23 Sun 16-Feb-14 20:17:54

The whole reason i originally put 24/7 as thats hhow long she is with us/away from her home so wanted to conpensate properly

SoonToBeSix Sun 16-Feb-14 20:24:36

So do you work days and nights op?am confused as to why you need help in the night.

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 16-Feb-14 20:55:19

Earplugs are a Godsend / I work nights at the moment and next door are renevating their home and work 8-5

I arrive home 7.30am and go to bed and earplugs are fab smile

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 16-Feb-14 20:56:59

So you want to pay your nanny for the inconvenience of being away from home - but only want her to work daytime

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now