Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Cm question, from a cm- why are people so unreliable!?

(6 Posts)
Cookethenook Sun 09-Feb-14 11:37:28

I'm feeling very frustrated this morning. I've just had a woman not turn up to have a look around, and it's now the second time she's done it to me.

I was supposed to be babysitting friday and saturday. Friday's family cancelled the day before and rescheduled for a few weeks away. They asked me if i could do saturday, which i turned down because i was working AND THEN saturday's family cancelled on the day. So i went from having an extra £80-90 to nothing.

I'm not sure about this woman. She wants me to take her child during half term (so, a week away), but i'm honestly not sure if i want to due to her unreliability. In my experience, these are the ones that are a bit rubbish with paying on time as well (yes, have had experience with this too, despite only being a cmer for a year, my first ever client almost didn't pay me, had to threaten small claims court).

Have i just had a lot of bad luck? And would you take on a repeatedly unreliable family.

HSMMaCM Sun 09-Feb-14 11:43:51

I take payment on booking. Once the money is received, the place is secured.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Sun 09-Feb-14 11:52:26

You need a cancellation policy for your ad hoc work - payment in advance, fully refundable 7 days ahead, 50% until three days ahead it something.

Cookethenook Sun 09-Feb-14 11:55:01

I charge a 50% retainer, but after people have come to look round- is that not standard?

Also, i have never heard of anyone charging a retainer for babysitting. Perhaps it might be an idea to start.

minderjinx Sun 09-Feb-14 14:13:02

I charge in advance for any ad hoc bookings, including babysitting. A retainer is something entirely different.

almaradlu Sun 09-Feb-14 15:17:56

Another one here who has been let down when I first started 12 years ago. Taken me quite a while to ''harden up'' but now I dont take on any family unless a deposit is paid and for adhoc care - it has to be paid at the same time of the booking.

Also all families have to pay their fees on the first contracted day of the week. I have a clause in my contracts, no payment -no childcare I can be flexiable and understanding but after losing £100 when I also first started( was too much hassle to chase the money plus I was relieved they had left) I have had to become hard.

I find it so sad that some (not all) have to mess us around when we are caring for the most precious thing in their lives x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now