This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Cm, what illness's do you exclude for?

(5 Posts)
Lucylouby Fri 07-Feb-14 10:42:32

Hi, I'm a cm and feel I should add to my policy a list of illness's that mean a child can not attend for. I've read a few threads on here about this, but am finding it hard to think of everything. At the moment I use the hpa guide, but this says it is ok to attend with conjunctivitis and I don't agree. So I think I should write my own and let parents have a copy. Obviously there will be a clause saying I their may be illness's I have missed but are still excludable for.

Goldmandra Fri 07-Feb-14 10:53:10

I just go with the HPA guidelines because I don't feel I'm qualified to disagree with them and I don't want to get into a debate with parents about it. If they disagree with me I can direct them to the HAP website then there's no argument.

minderjinx Fri 07-Feb-14 11:54:27

I certainly exclude for conjunctivitis, at least for pre-school age children. It is difficult to be totally prescriptive about which conditions to exclude for as it depends to a certain extent on the age and disposition of the child. I exclude a) if the child is likely to pass the infection on to others b) if they are not well enough to play and take part in normal routines. A younger child is unlikely to respond to requests to cover their mouth when coughing, not to rub their eyes or pick at their chickenpox scabs, but an older one might. One child can have a bad cold and be right enough "in themselves" while another can be totally miserable.

HSMMaCM Fri 07-Feb-14 13:02:29

My policies refer to hpa guidance and then say a child should not attend if they cannot take part in our normal activities (walks by the lake, toddler groups, etc). I specifically mention conjunctivitis.

bigpaws Sat 08-Feb-14 05:46:38

I am following this thread as I am also updating my list of excludable illnesses.

Cold sores have previously been mentioned on another thread. Not something I had thought about but will be including.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now