This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

does this sounds a bit dodgy to you

(13 Posts)
MrsBucketxx Fri 07-Feb-14 08:41:04

I recently found a minder for my two children, and was quoted 3.80 an hour or a 34 pound day rate.

I will be having my kids looked after for 8 hours which us less than the day rate. When I said ill pay hourly she didnt quibble, but others may not have questioned it and paid more.

Dodgy or just dippy cm

HSMMaCM Fri 07-Feb-14 08:59:42

Neither. She's just offering a discount for people who want access to a 10 hr day isn't she?

lilyaldrin Fri 07-Feb-14 09:01:04

Lots of providers offer a small discount for a full day, or over a certain number of hours a week.

moogy1a Fri 07-Feb-14 09:27:13

I don't get it. what do you mean by dodgy? I assume £34 would be for a longer day so she's charging £30.40 as it's a short day ( short for a cm!)

MrsBucketxx Fri 07-Feb-14 09:35:19

But I was asking not for ten hours (only 8) which she originally asked for leaving me out if pocket by £4 a day per child. Thats £8 im my case £40 a week. £160 a month it all ads up. if I hadnt questioned it id be out of pocket.

Maybe im over thinking it.

You are. She gave you options, you chose the one that suits your needs, nothing 'dodgy' about that.

Cindy34 Fri 07-Feb-14 09:39:51

As they knew you only wanted 8 hours, does sound a bit odd but maybe it is incase you did want a longer day on occasion.

trickydickie Fri 07-Feb-14 10:38:15

I was about to say that Cindy. I am a childminder and I would have presumed then that you wanted the flexibility of using me all day if the need arose.

splasheeny Fri 07-Feb-14 19:01:31

I think Yabu.

She is offering a discount on the hourly rate for a 10 hour day. Those rates are already extremely cheap.

I would pay the pennies extra for a longer day in case it was needed in your situation.

NickNacks Fri 07-Feb-14 21:13:49

Dippy cm? How bloody rude sad

Frusso Fri 07-Feb-14 21:22:02

But it's up to you to do the math and see if it's cheaper or not for the hours you want.
For my ds it's cheaper to go for the set rate, than the hourly one. But that's because it fits with the hours and flexibility I need.

LingDiLong Fri 07-Feb-14 21:47:10

Not remotely dodgy, in fact I'd say she's not got great business sense to do it that way. I don't offer any hourly rate at all and my 1/2 day rate is much more expensive if you double it than my full day rate. This is because someone paying for part of a day with me takes up a place that a potential full day rate child would want. If I was her I'd charge you way more per hour so that it made more financial sense for you to just pay for the full day.

pinkdelight Wed 12-Feb-14 13:47:13

She's a bargain either way. Be nice to her!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now