This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

15 hours for cm child

(23 Posts)
moogy1a Thu 06-Feb-14 14:07:30

does anyone know if I can offer the free 15 hours to my own child in my cm setting?

bigpaws Thu 06-Feb-14 14:37:52

I had the understanding you can, yes.

moogy1a Thu 06-Feb-14 14:49:20

Really?? Excellent! Can I ask if you know this from somewhere official?

HSMMaCM Thu 06-Feb-14 15:48:08

I couldn't when my DD was small, but that was a few years ago now. Make sure you definitely can before you make a claim.

katieskids Thu 06-Feb-14 15:52:37

As far as I'm aware now that all childminders can offer the early years funding the ability to draw down the grant for your own child has been removed.
I'm in Hampshire and received an email recently from services for young children (SFYC) advising all childminders of the recent changes.

snozzlemaid Thu 06-Feb-14 16:18:23

I'm in Cornwall and you definitely cannot claim the 15 hours yourself for your own child. Don't know if it's the same everywhere though.

mumlove Thu 06-Feb-14 17:38:24

No sorry you cannot & you also cannot for other relatives you care for. We have just had an email through about it & have asked for more details on relatives.

moogy1a Thu 06-Feb-14 18:10:48

Well, I've just had an email from my council saying I can. WOOHOO!!!
I was very clear it's for my child and she said yes as I'm a registered provider!

Tanith Thu 06-Feb-14 18:31:57

I have claimed for my own daughter. Those that cannot should challenge this: it's unfairly discriminating against your child.

mumlove Thu 06-Feb-14 18:54:56

My council used to allow it until they realised it is not allowed by the government. It states it here www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/21/section/18
Read number 8 c.

bigpaws Thu 06-Feb-14 20:35:55

I remember this question being asked at the EYE briefing. The response was a definite YES.

Your own children count in your ratio, so why shouldn't they get the same entitlement. Mind you, if it were me I would appreciate the LO going elsewhere for 15hrs a week!! blush

Seems to be each Local Authority have their own rules. Best to check with yours to be sure.

Also, I haven't heard that all childminders can now deliver the EYE. Round here it is still only Accredited Childminders.

gnatgnu Thu 06-Feb-14 20:38:23

There was an article about this in Nursery World fairly recently, I'll have a look now but I think it is a no.....

HSMMaCM Thu 06-Feb-14 20:38:58

You definitely don't have to be part of an accredited network any more. You just have to be good or outstanding or on the way there.

Check carefully about your own child. I think this is national policy, not local.

gnatgnu Thu 06-Feb-14 20:42:58
moogy1a Thu 06-Feb-14 22:06:47

bigpaws
deffo deffo ALL cm's rated good or outstanding can offer for 2 year olds and ALL cm's can offer 3 yo. Get onto your council. they are wrong!!

busyDays Fri 07-Feb-14 18:55:30

I'm currently claiming the funding for my own dd. I didn't know it was possibly until a lady from early years happened to mention that I could, so I applied and no questions were asked. I just filled my name into both the childminder and parent sections on the form and it all went through fine. I have to say I was a bit disbelieving until the first payment landed in my account. smile

bigpaws Sat 08-Feb-14 05:58:29

I have checked the LA website, and it still says childminders delivering the EYE must be 'Network'.

I worked hard to get Accredited. Had to attend a 2 day SENCO course and additional safeguarding. (Both of which were weekend courses and I paid for!)

All this for an extra 15p an hour.

Not sure the other CMs in my area would deliver the EYE anyway. Not sure I would have joined knowing what I know now!

moogy1a Sat 08-Feb-14 08:15:18

I have a copy of the statutory guidance if anyone wants to pm me to forward to their la.
It's very clear who can claim and under what conditions and they CANNOT make you be part of a network/ do extra training/ have extra assessments/ attend meetings.
I pointed this out to my LA when they tried to stick with the old guidance in September and they were forced to acknowledge the changes to the law and offer it up to all cm's in the county ( bet I was popular at the town hall!!)

HSMMaCM Sat 08-Feb-14 08:25:54

Big paws - what you went through was correct last year, but now most restrictions have been lifted. I have helped close down our accredited network and all council inspections and quality assurance programs have been stopped. The council have returned or shredded all the policies etc we had to provide them with.

Not sure what you mean about some CMs not being able to provide EYE? All CMs have to follow EYFS and record progress etc.

moogy1a Sat 08-Feb-14 08:44:25

I think she means not all will want to offer the Early Years Entitlement ( funded places) as opposed to EYFS

bigpaws Mon 10-Feb-14 22:21:11

Hi, yes I meant not all CMs would want to deliver the EYE (15hrs). Yes they should still follow the EYFS.

It is very frustrating how the guidelines can change so quickly. You don't know where you are one week to the next.

HSMMaCM Mon 10-Feb-14 22:23:49

Sorry big paws - paying attention now grin

bigpaws Tue 11-Feb-14 06:34:35

HSMMaCM - no worries!! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now