This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Any single parents that do night shifts out there?

(6 Posts)
jadegreencake Sun 02-Feb-14 01:36:24

What do you do for childcare overnight if you have no family nearby to ask and friends have not offered? I have two well behaved teenagers and my new job requires night shifts....

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 02-Feb-14 12:32:54

I have an au pair for exactly this situation. Plus she is bit like a wife empties the dishwasher, does the washing up, hovers and dusts downstairs and does some ironing. She does 9 hours actual work in addition to between 2 and 4 overnights per week depending on my rota.

jadegreencake Sun 02-Feb-14 19:58:47

Hi Lonecat

Thanks so much for that. Would you mind telling me a little about how you found your au pair? Thanks

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 03-Feb-14 14:13:28

I found her through au pair world and then did a skype interview. Currently the quality of candidates is very high particularly from Spain due to the economic issues there.
My current au pair is about to turn 25, has a Masters degree in English has volunteered for two years in a school as an assistant teacher and has been driving with a clean licence for 7years.
I had applications from Nurses, teachers, vets etc.
If you go down the au pair world route talk to several at once (they will also be doing this) and after exchange of messages you will narrow it down. I interviewed on th 5th Jan and she arrived on the 18th. I pay £75 per week, she has the use of car (she needs to collect DC from school), use of smart phone which I top up with £10 per month, board and lodging.

jadegreencake Fri 07-Feb-14 16:59:18

Thanks so much for the information. A huge help. How many hours does your au pair do per week?

oftengrumpy Sat 08-Feb-14 20:33:44

Do you live a university town? If you just need someone to be there over night rather than do actual childcare as such then you might find a student who would do it for free board.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now