Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

au pair salary

(11 Posts)
aboekee Fri 31-Jan-14 18:14:02

My daughter is interested in becoming an au pair and has been offered a job in Italy looking after a 15 month old and a 3 year old for about 6 hours a day. They propose to pay her 70 euros a week but won't pay air fare. Do people think that's reasonable? I'm a bit worried as we have no experience of either hiring an au pair or being an au pair.

lovelynannytobe Fri 31-Jan-14 20:13:16

http://www.aupair-world.co.uk/index.php/au_pair_program/italy/family/pocket_money
I would personally strongly suggest she looks for a family with older children. A 15 month old and a 3 year old will be very full on and require a lot of looking after (changing nappies, potty training, feeding, dealing with tantrums etc). It's really hard work. She'd be better off with a family with school age children where she takes them and collects them from school and looks after them (watches them) until the parents come home. Looking after older children will have a greater language benefits too.

Katiejon Fri 31-Jan-14 21:18:15

Hi.
Will the mother be with her or will she be on her own with the children?
I would not take this position, I agree with lovelynannytobe, it will be blooming hard work!

CookieDoughKid Fri 31-Jan-14 21:26:02

I would say 70euros is about going rate if the location is not in an expensive city.

I pay £70 for 33hours of work for my aupair in South England. No air fare. However living costs (if aupair was to rent a bathroom ensuite room in a shared apartment my town) would be equivalent to starting from £1000 a month including all the following council tax/ gas/ bills/ telephone/internet/food/sky tv.

CookieDoughKid Fri 31-Jan-14 21:28:32

So free living costs is a huge incentive. I do think babies are more intensive so you should have clear work description and expectations fully lined up before accepting the job. Talk through actual scenarios and be realistic with the house mother.

allyfe Sat 01-Feb-14 10:42:44

I would say 6 hours a day with children that young is going to be quite a challenge. There are going to be other jobs which are less demanding.

DetsMarie Wed 05-Feb-14 13:22:30

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

DetsMarie Thu 06-Feb-14 08:38:05

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Squiffyagain Thu 06-Feb-14 09:39:24

Detsmarie, not only is advertising on MN not allowed, but your data looks completely wrong (something I find on most au pair websites.). Nobody in UK would get away with paying £40, for example, and you've mixed up weekly and monthly rates. Next you'll be saying that au pairs in the EU are not classified as workers and therefore not entitled to holiday pay, etc.

Reporting for advertising.

OP, I know in some countries it is normal to do sole care with young kids, but I would advise she finds another family. We had an au pair once come to us after 6 months in the US. They admitted they'd been absolutely petrified some of the time, and hadn't a clue on some of the most basic things (when a bug was something more, for example, when to call parents for help). It'd just be so much easier to spend time with a family with older children and not have that worry spoil you enjoying the experience. Different of course if the mum is around.

lilyaldrin Thu 06-Feb-14 09:46:17

The pocket money in Germany was set at 260 euros a month almost 10 years ago. I'm sure it's gone up since then.

DetsMarie Thu 06-Feb-14 13:48:18

Yes, my mistake sad

One more time:
Great Britain: 40 - 85 British Pounds (GBP) per week!
Germany: 260 Euro per month
Austria: 395,31 Euro per month
Switzerland: 500 - 800 Swiss Franks (CHF) per month - depending on the canton
Italy: 120 - 300 Euro per month
Spain: 50-70 Euro per week, 200 - 280 Euro per month
France: 258 - 315,90 Euro per month
Belgium: 450 Euro per month
Ireland: 75-100 Euro per week, 300 - 400 Euro per month
Australia: 150 - 250 AU$ per week
America: 195,75 US$ per week
Canada: 140 und 200 CAD per week
New Zealand: 180 New Zealand dollar (NZD) per week
The Netherlands: 300 - 340 Euro per month
Denmark: 3.150 Danish Crowns (DKK) per month
Sweden: 3.500 Swedish Crowns (SEK) per month
Norway: 4.000 - 5.000 Norwegian Crowns (NOK) per month
Finland: 252 Euro per month
Iceland: 300 - 400 Euro (10.000 ISK per week)

GERMANY: No, unfortunately. The pocket money in Germany is always the same.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now