This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Bank holiday pay for childminders

(15 Posts)
KellyElly Thu 30-Jan-14 14:07:16

My childminder changed the days she looks after DD to a Monday and a Tuesday from a Tuesday and a Wednesday this year. There will be a few days that fall on a bank holiday and I was wondering if it's the norm to pay your childminder for those days. She's looked after DD since she was a baby and I consider her a friend and feel a bit bad about broaching the subject as I don't want to appear tight or offend her, so just wanted to get some opinions as to what others do, or from any childminders. I always pay her full pay over the Christmas period and this is just something I have always done.

Cindy34 Thu 30-Jan-14 17:22:20

There is never a norm as each childminder runs their own business. So have a look at the contract, does that tell you what happens? If not, then you will need to ask.

I expect a lot of childminders do charge, as it helps keep the headline hourly rate lower, thus why it is important to calculate childcare costs over a year not go by hourly rate. Some childminders may be available to work that day, not all workers get bank holidays off especially in retail, healthcare, fire/police/army, travel industry. So do not make any assumptions, always ask your childminder what happens on a bank holiday.

HSMMaCM Thu 30-Jan-14 18:09:38

I make it clear on my contracts that I don't work bank holidays and don't charge for them. You need to check whether she expects to work them and whether you need to pay. She shouldn't mind you asking at all.

PhoebeMcPeePee Thu 30-Jan-14 20:28:21

I charge normal rate if child doesn't come then add half time extra if they do ie 1.5 times normal rate on b/hols!

Twinklestarstwinklestars Fri 31-Jan-14 02:07:53

Check your contract some charge some don't, I don't want to work them so don't charge as I'm not available, others don't want to work but still charge.

KellyElly Fri 31-Jan-14 10:46:48

Thanks for your replies. There doesn't seem to be anything in the contract so I will ask her.

DrinkFeckArseGirls Mon 03-Feb-14 21:23:59

Why did she change the days she looks after your DD? If it was her request, you shouldn't be expected to pay as you end up being short changed.

blondefriend Mon 03-Feb-14 21:26:58

We pay 0.5 on all holiday days including bank holidays.

allyfe Tue 04-Feb-14 09:35:07

My childminder (and the ones she knows) charges full rate for bank holidays. It always annoyed me that if your child was there on a Monday you were just a bit stuffed. She gets told of by her childminder friends for not charging when she is away on HER holidays!!! Problem round here is that demand outstrips supply and so childminders can get away with many things which normal self employed people can't. My solution was just not to send my children on a Monday.

Picturesinthefirelight Tue 04-Feb-14 09:38:55

I would not pay a self employed person for a day when they are not providing the service but I also would check the contract too.

If she offers to work that day & you choose not to send your child that's a different matter

You really pay her over Xmas? Why? She's not your employee.

KellyElly Tue 04-Feb-14 09:41:14

DrinkFeckArseGirls She asked to change the days as she got another job wed-fri. My ex looks after DD for two afternoons, so luckily we could be flexible. The contract hasn't actually changed to reflect this.

PhoebeMcPeePee Tue 04-Feb-14 10:09:09

Pictures there are plenty of CM's who charge either full or part fee for their holiday in fact all CM's in my area do so you'd struggle to find care here.

If I didn't get paid for my leave, I wouldn't be able to afford to take any & wouldn't last long working a full-on job like this without a single day off. Most self-employed roles aren't working for the same few people 12 hours a days, 5 days a week (without going to the loo unaccompanied let alone having a lunch break!) so I actually think all CM's should include paid leave in their contracts.

PhoebeMcPeePee Tue 04-Feb-14 10:16:36

Although actually in the op case I would not charge for bhols as it was not her choice of day but the cm changing to suit her schedule.

KellyElly Tue 04-Feb-14 10:32:53

so I actually think all CM's should include paid leave in their contracts Mine gets four weeks paid leave pro rata per year and I pay in full if DD is ill or if we are on holiday, so I'm hoping she'll be a bit flexible about pay on bank holidays.

Picturesinthefirelight Tue 04-Feb-14 11:05:23

I used a nursery.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now