This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

loosing my temper with the childcare website

(13 Posts)
MikeTheShite Thu 30-Jan-14 13:16:06

Hello, I'm just wondering if anyone can help. Im looking for a flexible childminder for my dd and I've just found what seemw to be the perfect one on the childcare website BUT I didnt realise you have to pay! I just cannot justify paying it tbh.
ive looked all over google etc for her but cant find her, mayne as her first mame is the business name and no website etc.
Does anyone have any helpful advice for ,me please?
I thought of ringing the family information service but I feel a bit silly as all I habe is her first name!

nannynick Thu 30-Jan-14 13:22:32

If you know they are say less than 3 miles from your home, call FIS and ask for list of childminders in your area.

Google the persons name - see what comes up.

Some FIS list childminders online so you could look through the list looking for the name.

On childcare.co.uk you could try adding them as a favourite in the hope they contact you.

Pay monthly fee and remember to cancelbefore end of the month (think you cancel using Subscriptions section of PayPal).

MikeTheShite Thu 30-Jan-14 13:25:35

fantastic thank you I wasnt aware the fis were online!!!

nannynick Thu 30-Jan-14 13:30:44

Some are some are not. Depending on your location FIS may be run by local council or county council.

nannynick Thu 30-Jan-14 13:37:46

Who should pay for this sort of thing?

If parents look for a nanny I feel they should pay for advertising as they are offering a job.

If parents are looking for a childminder I feel that the childminder should pay (business expense) as they are providing a service.

Anyone have any views on who should pay?

LyndaCartersBigPants Thu 30-Jan-14 13:46:53

I would just add, don't get too hung up on this person being 'the one' when all you've seen is a carefully worded online profile. When you meet her, see her home and how she interacts with other children you may not feel that it's such a great fit. Get the details of a few others while you're looking and visit them all.

MikeTheShite Thu 30-Jan-14 15:19:29

thank you the fis were wonderful.
much better in my opinion than using childcare website.
that's where I will go now,
thank you for the advice. sadly im slightly limited due to odd hours for uni, ideally id have liked to keep dd in her nursery but its not an option

MikeTheShite Fri 31-Jan-14 18:18:50

Can I have some childminder etiquette please as I now have six too see!

Runoutofideas Sat 01-Feb-14 19:06:57

I wouldn't go and see 6 - sounds like too many to me. Can you have a conversation with them over the phone to narrow it down and visit the 2 or 3 you like the sound of, or who are nearest to you or can offer the hours you require.

MikeTheShite Sat 01-Feb-14 20:44:16

okay I shall do that smile

LyndaCartersBigPants Sat 01-Feb-14 23:21:45

They will understand that you want the best fit for your child, so anyone worth their salt won't be offended that you're looking around. In fact I'd make it clear that that's the case up front to avoid any misunderstanding. The CMs can then make sure they point out anything that might be of particular note to you, whether negative or positive, to sway your decision e.g. specific hours or certain activities.

minderjinx Sun 02-Feb-14 09:10:04

Hi Mike. I'd echo what Runoutofideas just said. Check out the logistical stuff on the phone (i.e make sure they can offer the hours and services you need) then arrange to visit two or three. My other tip would be decisive - if you see one that absolutely seems right, sign up. Don't think you have to see somebody else next week, or you may lose your ideal spot and afterwards everyone else will seem second best. You can always politely cancel future appointments, and nobody will expect you to go through the motions of considering them if your mind is already made up.

MikeTheShite Thu 06-Feb-14 12:20:58

minder you were right. ive just seen the second as I needed something to compare my first too and wow is all I can say she was perfect!
DD screamed the whole way out of the door after it taking me ten minutes to get her out of the playroom and a further ten extracting her from said childminders trouser legs! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now