Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Any Married Nanny done this?

(28 Posts)
Marylou62 Sat 04-Jan-14 09:24:18

I live in a sleepy seaside village which I love. I have nannied in London and abroad before the marriage n kids thing. I have just been 'let go' by my lovely family and exploring my options. There are not many jobs around here but saying that I have 8 weeks notice and have never been unable to find a job. I have an idea of finding a live in London job for 3 days a week and then come home at weekends. My kids are grown altho still live at home. My DH works nights so we don't see each other much in the week anyway! Any other Nanny done this?

drinkyourmilk Sat 04-Jan-14 10:42:17

Not personally, but the lady who took over from me in my previous position was married with children. She lived in mon-fri and went home weekends. She is still there over 2 years later, so works for her.

NannyLouise29 Sat 04-Jan-14 11:15:51

I was going to do this but was actually going to go abroad, and travel back every weekend. I found a good job closer to home so I abandoned the plan - but I think it would work.

Good luck smile

Marylou62 Sat 04-Jan-14 11:38:15

Thanks for the replies. I keep getting excited....24 years of being a wife and mother...but then remember I AM NOT SINGLE!!!! DH is so nice he says whatever will make me happy (
and make US money)!!

Cindy34 Sat 04-Jan-14 15:58:02

I think it could appeal to some families. Many years ago, early 90's, I knew a nanny who lived in Mon-Fri, going home on Friday coming back Sunday night. Not sure if you will find a 3 day job like that but you never know - have a look and see what you find.

Marylou62 Sat 04-Jan-14 19:38:57

Thanks Sindy. Actually what made me think I could do it is because there are a few 3 day week jobs. Would have to be 3 days together (only wrote together cos I cant spell consequative!!!) could even be live out as could stay with my M & D in Surrey (if took a Weybridge or Guildford job). Anyway something might have already come up. New baby too!!! I LOVE babies.

Marylou62 Sat 04-Jan-14 19:40:05

Thanks Sindy. Actually what made me think I could do it is because there are a few 3 day week jobs. Would have to be 3 days together (only wrote together cos I cant spell consequative!!!) could even be live out as could stay with my M & D in Surrey (if took a Weybridge or Guildford job). Anyway something might have already come up. New baby too!!! I LOVE babies.

BumpBirthBaby Sat 04-Jan-14 20:40:06

I have a london live-in job 3 days a week (24hrs a day though as I have Maternity Nurse training) They do exist.

I then go home for the other days and don't work. It pays me well and suits me to work solidly and then have a good amount of time off.

sparkles18 Sat 04-Jan-14 22:04:09

For the last 6 years I have had a weekend live-in job from Friday 7pm-Sunday 7pm, so am free for the rest of the week to look after my own child. Has worked really well for me especially not having to arrange childcare for my own child in school holidays.

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 05-Jan-14 01:11:24

My friend does this - 3days in London pays the same as 5 days local

Drives up early mon am and stays mon and tue eve and goes home wed eve

Marylou62 Sun 05-Jan-14 09:46:48

Thankyou every one. I am still thinking about this. Although in this weather it seems attractive but in the summer!! I love where I live and spend a lot of the time on the beach with the kids...London in the summer doesn't sound so nice!! (have lived/worked in London so do know what I am talking about.)Anyway can you all help me with something else.... Is it acceptable to advertise on MN? Seen a few but not many...

HappyAsEyeAm Sun 05-Jan-14 12:38:22

If we didn't already have a lovely nanny, you would be perfect for me. South East London based, monday to wednesday, 11 hours each day, en suite room for you, start early monday morning, finish at 6 pm on Wednesday, with the odd night of overtime on one of those days every few weeks. Our nanny is live out, but we would be happy to have live in on the basis that it would actually onoy ge 2 nights of live in every week.

So there are jobs out there!

duchesse Sun 05-Jan-14 12:51:59

I'm not a nanny but am contemplating doing the same thing (working away from home several days a week). If it sounds good to you I can't see why not.

Marylou62 Sun 05-Jan-14 14:44:48

Thanks HappyAsEyeAm for the vote of confidence. It would be sunday night tho as well... as with early start Monday... I live bout 4-5 hours away.

I'm not married (yet) but was planning to do this from when I finished with my job in July. I have now found a job locally but I'd still do it until I had kids and then when my kids were older.

oscarwilde Mon 06-Jan-14 16:17:09

I think it is totally workable. Nice for teenagers to not take you for granted too smile

Beware jobs requiring you to travel up on a Sunday night though. That gets old very quickly. Most people won't want you hanging around as they wrap up a lovely lazy weekend crash on the sofa once the kids are in bed and having frequently travelled for work, its horrid leaving after lunch on a Sunday. Feels like you haven't had a proper weekend, and it's a PITA with family plans/coming back from holidays. It's a good way out of getting out of the post Sunday lunch clean up though grin

I would look for something in the suburbs/nearest big city first (2-3 hrs max), before heading all the way into London. Check out the costs of travelling too and see which areas work best for cost, travelling time (direct train routes etc)

Marylou62 Mon 06-Jan-14 17:24:21

Thanks Oscar. You are right and am only now imagining having to leave the beach for a four hour drive!!! Try n find tue, wed, thurs!!

oscarwilde Tue 07-Jan-14 12:07:03

I'd look for something you can get to on public transport unless free parking is available as part of the job. A nanny parking permit will cost me £250 per annum in Zone3.

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Tue 07-Jan-14 16:28:34

I wanted to do this a couple of years ago. My ds is younger, though and when I posted here, the majority thought it was a bad idea...mostly, because ds was so young.

It's a definite option for me, in the future. I loved London nannying!

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Tue 07-Jan-14 18:27:55

Oops blush, just re-read your title...I'm not married so only have ds to consider!

Marylou62 Tue 07-Jan-14 20:58:48

I know I said that my DH was happy for me to do this, but tonight my DD is out and both my DSs have gone to Surrey for youngest DS interview for the Navy!! If he gets in he'll be gone by April! So all alone in house.(All you Mums out there having a hard time with young ones, it does get easier then they all leave and....) Any way was talking to DH and he says that he'll feel like this if I go away to work..made me think more about it and am so confused. Could I do that to him?. I really hope a local job comes up. Any one know anyone who wants a nanny with 30 years experience and amazing references?( Sorry if that sounds big headed but got to sell myself!) Truro Cornwall area. I have special needs, newborn, twin and Large family experience. Have I just 'outed' myself?!

nannyafrica Tue 07-Jan-14 21:53:19

Just saw this
http://www.nannyjob.co.uk/job/346051/Nanny-Cornwall

Marylou62 Wed 08-Jan-14 16:04:20

Thankyou nannyafrica. Did look but really want sole charge. I know in this job market, beggers cant be choosers but have few months to look.

lilyaldrin Wed 08-Jan-14 18:35:01

I did exactly this before my 1st child was born - travelled up late on a Sunday evening, stayed Sunday-Thursday, left after work (6pm finish) on a Thursday. It worked really well, I think both me and the employers liked the part-time live-in aspect, and actually I think we all got on better during the week (eating dinner together etc) knowing that we had half the week in our own homes iyswim.

Also the best bit was that DP would have our flat clean and tidy and dinner ready before picking me up from the station on a Thursday night grin

MarshmallowCupcake Wed 08-Jan-14 21:13:35

I do it. I travel to work on a Monday morning and return on Thursday night. I don't have kids but I feel that the time hubby and I spend together over the weekend is so much better! We don't take each other for granted and obviously the better wages allow us to have better holidays and weekend outings - I say, go for it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now