Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

What can I expect from wrap around care with a CM?

(7 Posts)
HollyBollyBooBoo Thu 02-Jan-14 21:25:49

DD will need a childminder when she goes to school, I'll need the CM to do school drop off and pick up and some holiday cover. Seeing a CM on Sunday who has fab reviews online.

I've read a few threads on here to understand what to ask a new CM but they are generally for young babies/preschoolers. What sort of routine can I expect for wrap around care? Is there anything different I need to ask her? Thanks!

HSMMaCM Thu 02-Jan-14 21:52:37

Just ask her what she does with the children and see if you are happy.

Some do breakfast and tea ... Others don't. Most will do an after school snack (or will you need to provide it).

Does she walk or drive? What car seats?

almaradlu Fri 03-Jan-14 10:51:52

Hi, currently I just childmind school age children

Around here we dont tend to have before school children as all our schools offer a free breakfast club.

When I used to have before school children, if they came before 8am they woud be offered breakfast. After 8am , its impossible, as its not fair for the children having to rush it down to get ready to take them to school. Used to have children booked for breakfast, come at 8:20/30am and had to leave at 8:40

In the morning , its mostly free play, where they can help themselves to the toys, read a book, colour or some just used to prefer to sit and chat with each other before we left for school.

After school, we come in, we have a chat about their day. We have our snacks (I no longer provide tea for several reasons)and the children play. I always have a craft activity planned for the children and if they dont want to take part they can choose toys/games/a book freely of the toy rack/book rack or can chose something crafty to do from the craft bits I have here -painting, card making, junk modelling ,playdoh, hama beads etc . There is a good selection of toys, games, books and pencils and paper on the toy rack which they can help themselves too anytime they wish.

If the children need a quiet area for homework, they can but I cant always sit and help as I have other children to see to or parents can be calling to collect.

Each evening can be different and when planning activites for the children, I always ask them what they would like to do. A lot of the time (especially the junior age children) just want to chill in front of the tv. So I try to plan a movie night every so often which the children love.

Depending on school clubs that they sometimes stay to and collection times, we try to go for a walk or the local park. I am very lucky that I live near our local school, so the children can stay for these clubs and I can collect without having to walk the other children far to go back to collect as I dont drive.

Some children are here just over an hour, some for 2 1/2 hours, so it can be a bit of a juggling act when trying to plan to go out.

In the school holidays again they get to choose what activities, we also get to do a bit of baking as we have more time. I also include trips to the cinema, musuem, play centers and other places of interest as well as making use of the local area. I have a small back garden with playhouse, water table and toys so get to use this more in the holidays as well.
I provide am/pm snacks and lunch in the holidays-sometimes we eat out in cafes or have picnics.

All trips are made on the train or bus and the children love it. You'd be surprised how many have not been on a train before. Also trips depend on the ages, behaviour and the number of children attending.

So I have given you an idea of what we get up to, questions you could ask are

What meals do you provide -are these provide as part of the fees
Where in the house will they spend their time
What activities do you provide
If you take them out in your car, do you have the right car/booster seats
Fees, how much during term time, how much during school holidays.

If you think of anything that you want to ask before you go for a visit, write it down as you may forget when you get there

Hope all goes well and sorry for the long post smile

HollyBollyBooBoo Sat 04-Jan-14 09:05:05

Brilliant advice, thanks so much, I'm really excited about seeing her on Sunday!

UniS Sat 04-Jan-14 21:21:14

My lad goes to a CM after school -

On dry days they tend to stop off at the playground for half an hour or so, they go to CMs house by car , so no more than 4 children ( boosters provided by CM), tho sometimes there will be an older sibling getting there by school bus, so on those days no park stop off.

Once at CMs house its free play, they might do a craft activity, they might play football in the garden. they might watch some kids TV. There is a well stocked bookcase and oddles of lego. I'm generally the last parent to pick up and DS gets to spend the last 20 mins when he is the only mindee playing on the wi or playstation or watching cartoons ( he loves tom and jerry).

This CM does not pick up from afterschool hobby clubs or take children to after school hobby clubs ( such as dance class). Which restricts which clubs DS can join as it can only be ones on my pick up days not CM days.

HollyBollyBooBoo Sun 05-Jan-14 21:45:01

Oh Dear, my excitement turned to disappointment the moment I pulled up outside their home. Everything was shabby, old, unkempt. Mini bus that kids are ferried around in was a rust bucket held together in the corner with tape. Dirty inside, cat & dog in the kids room, kids bathroom was filthy. Made as much polite conversation as I could and left. Felt quite tearful. The wise people on here who said your gut will say it all were certainly right.

On to the next.

almaradlu Sun 05-Jan-14 22:51:10

Oh such a disappointing visit to have, such a shame sad

We do have cats and a dog, who the children do get supervised access to.
They should have told you about the pets before you visited, just in case of allergies, fears etc. I always tell parents this before they visit, its on my website and in my statement of purpose as well.

Good luck and hopefully the next one will be the one for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now