This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminder - charging while own child is unwell??

(21 Posts)
StarRose Wed 01-Jan-14 21:52:06

I didn't work the week before Christmas as my ds was poorly. I informed parents and gave them the choice, saying I could have their children if they needed me, but all decided not to send them. Now I'm not sure what to do with my invoices. Should I charge as I offered to work, or not charge as my ds was ill?? I was available, but had I worked, their children would probably have caught the bug and been ill for xmas. Thoughts please smile

Picturesinthefirelight Wed 01-Jan-14 21:53:36

As a parent I would be very loath to pay.

NickNacks Wed 01-Jan-14 21:54:23

Erm what did your child have? I'm thinking not charging but I'm assuming you decided he was ill enough to notify parents and didn't just have a cold?

Mushypeasandchipstogo Wed 01-Jan-14 21:54:53

'Twas the season of goodwill. Don't charge them.

tinyturtletim Wed 01-Jan-14 21:55:11

It depends what your child had?

Wallison Wed 01-Jan-14 21:55:49

I wouldn't want to pay either. It's not enough that you said you were available - you clearly weren't.

SavoyCabbage Wed 01-Jan-14 21:58:29

Presumably they would have thought they were doing you a favour by not sending their dc. I would be agog to be charged.

PenguinsDontEatStollen Wed 01-Jan-14 21:58:43

I would be annoyed at being charged in a situation where the notification sounds like it made ir pretty clear that you weren't really available TBH.

PortofinoRevisited Wed 01-Jan-14 21:58:49

Of course you can't charge.

OatcakeCravings Wed 01-Jan-14 21:59:38

Depends what their contracts say.

YoureBeingASillyBilly Wed 01-Jan-14 22:01:38

If your child had a bug you werent open for business- you have to close. So no you dont charge.

StarRose Wed 01-Jan-14 22:02:10

Thought it was a cold at the start of the week but turned into full blown flu by the Thursday/Friday, and the Monday off became the whole week...

Just needed another opinion really. I haven't charged yet as I felt it was wrong to. I definitely won't now.

Thanks for the input smile

DurhamDurham Wed 01-Jan-14 22:04:37

Claiming that you were available isn't the same as being able to provide the same level of care that the parents expect from you. If your child was ill enough for you to tell the parents then he probably needed quite a bit of your attention. I would have been very unhappy to have to pay you, when the alternative was to send my child with the possibility of him becoming ill.

looneytune Thu 02-Jan-14 00:57:58

In these situations I never charged however I once had a family who wanted to know about the slightest cold. In those situations I'd charge as normal colds all part and parcel and they understood that but for any other reason where they were ill enough for me to ask the parents then no, I didn't charge.

Twinklestarstwinklestars Thu 02-Jan-14 03:20:29

I wouldn't charge as you have them the option and I wouldn't have wanted to work.

Blushingm Thu 02-Jan-14 03:33:23

I wouldn't be happy if you'd charged me. Your son was ill, if my child was ill would you have refused to take him/her?

Jellytotsforme Thu 02-Jan-14 09:16:28

I don't think you should be charging. You wouldn't be providing the same level of service

HSMMaCM Thu 02-Jan-14 09:21:18

I have been in that situation. Some children came and others didn't. I didn't charge the ones who didn't come. If it was a minor cold, I wouldn't have informed them (except in Looney's special case), so they would have been charged as normal.

BeCool Thu 02-Jan-14 09:56:25

You would be charging parents to get their kids, and possibly themselves, infected with the flu for Xmas.

Of course you can't charge. A cold or something non contagious would be different. But then you wouldn't have notified them the way you did.

MPB Thu 02-Jan-14 20:59:20

I wouldn't charge if I was you.

Lilbup Wed 08-Jan-14 07:08:13

I was in the same situation just before Christmas, in that my daughter had a virus and so I gave parents the option of whether to still bring their children or not. One parent chose not to send their child and so I didn't charge them. I don't think it would be fair to charge parents in this situation as it's not their fault that you're not available. It's obviously not great to lose the money but I think you'd lose quite a bit of goodwill if you charged them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now