This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Part time nanny contract

(5 Posts)
NotSpartacus Wed 01-Jan-14 09:00:19

We have a new nanny starting shortly. She'll be working 3.5h per day during term time, and longer hours in the holidays. This is the first time I've employed a nanny on this basis (her predecessors were FT).
What should the contract say about holidays? How do they accrue? What is the norm re agreeing when she can take them?

Many thanks

Cindy34 Wed 01-Jan-14 09:31:57

There are never any norms, it will depend on each families circumstances. If you will find it very hard to cover holidays during term time, then let them know that and see if they would agree to only taking holiday during school holidays.

12.07% of hours worked. So they accrue more holiday during the school holidays as they work more hours during that time.

So you need to calculate the total hours per year.
Once you have that, then calculate what 12.07% of that total will be. The total will include part of hour, which you can round up to a sensible number, but not round down.

I think ACAS say this calculation is for casual staff but I feel it would work for this situation as during school holiday periods they will be working a lot more hours than during term time.

Cindy34 Wed 01-Jan-14 09:42:04

The 12.07% figure is 5.6 weeks’ holiday, divided by 46.4 weeks (being 52 weeks – 5.6 weeks). The 5.6 weeks are excluded from the calculation as the worker would not be at work during those 5.6 weeks in order to accrue annual leave.

If you are using a payroll company, ask them for advice.

ACAS Holidays and Holiday Pay (pdf)

NotSpartacus Wed 01-Jan-14 17:17:49

Thanks Cindy.
The other way I was thinking of doing this is to state 5.6 weeks hols in the contract, with the amount of pay on those holidays being based on the average hours per day she worked in the previous 12 weeks. I guess that means she would be paid more for a holiday at the end of August than in March, but then that makes sense because she would otherwise be earning more on those days than in term time. Does that make sense or am I missing something? Trying to come up with a way of drafting this that doesn't tie us both in knots!

NotSpartacus Wed 01-Jan-14 17:18:43

And thanks also for the 12.07 figure! I was trying to work that out and failing miserably!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now