Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Gah, not knowing when kids are coming and going. How can I prevent this?

(7 Posts)
LingDiLong Tue 31-Dec-13 15:57:54

I am a CM and I've been open over the Christmas holidays (apart from Bank Hols and Christmas eve). Parents have been off but quite understandably still been sending their kids as I charge regardless unless I am ill or have taken the time off myself. The problem is I have found myself hanging around waiting for kids to be dropped off and picked up despite asking for an indication of times.

I don't expect them to stick to pick up times to the minute but we're talking an hour or more later than times they've given me (although still within contracted hours). How do others prevent this? Am debating introducing core hours of say 10-4 and saying no pick up or drop off outside of these unless by proper prior arrangement.

HSMMaCM Wed 01-Jan-14 10:11:05

I just ask my parents to let me know if they're dropping off after 9.30 or picking up before 3. This is an all year arrangement. They know they might need to come and find us somewhere else between those times.

Children have been coming and going at strange times over Christmas, but they have always let me know (often by text in the morning).

perrinelli Wed 01-Jan-14 19:30:39

I may have misunderstood, but if the parents are paying for their usual hours, surely you need to be available for all those hours? Whilst it would be courteous for them to let you know rough times if they are dropping off later/picking up earlier than usual, I don't really see the issue if its still within contracted hours - surely its a bit of a bonus if they are doing shorter days, and presumably the usual playgroups etc arent on so perhaps you're not out as much as usual? but do clarify if I've got the wrong end of the stick....

perri I may be mistaken but she's not saying that she is not available, just that it is not fair to keep the other mindees hanging around at home waiting just in case, as opposed to going on outings etc

You can't stay hanging around at home just in case one gets dropped off. I would just let parents know you often have outings or activities out of the house to do with the kids so if they will have to bring them before a certain time, or be prepared to bring them to wherever you are. You have to balance the needs of all the mindees don't you so it's only fair.

Its not just the outings, even starting a game or activity is a pain when you are hanging around waiting. It can be really disruptive to the day.

LingDiLong Thu 02-Jan-14 08:20:51

Thanks all. Perri, yes I absolutely am available for my contracted hours. I would, in fact, prefer it if I had the kids all day because as others have pointed out it's the hanging around and having to keep all the other kids in while we wait for someone that's very inconvenient.

We actually tend to be out MORE than usual in the school holidays. Someone dropping off at 8.45 as opposed to 8 doesn't really matter as we're not likely to be going anywhere before 9.30ish. But when I'm told 9am and it turns into 10.30 then it's a right pain.

It was also a pain when I was told they'd be picking up before tea time and they wouldn't need any dinner. And then they didn't turn up until the middle of dinner time. I couldn't delay dinner as the other kids were being picked up after dinner and their parents wanted them to have eaten first but neither did I want to sit a child down to a plate of dinner only for their parent to turn up and take them home, leaving the dinner to go to waste.

I think tomorrow I'll make it clear I have an activity/outing planned so I'll need the child here by 10am at the latest. That should give them time for a lazy start/lie in but won't impact on my day too badly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now