Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Canadian Au Pair - NHS or own insurance??? Please help.

(3 Posts)
Ruggles Mon 30-Dec-13 21:54:47

Please help me. We have a Canadian Au Pair arriving next Sunday and she has just asked if she needs to continue with her private health insurance whilst she is in the UK. She is on a Teir 5 Mobility Visa and is staying for 12 months. I remember researching this in August when we made the arrangement, but on holiday without my notes and can't find anything on the web. My hazy understanding is that she would receive NHS GP care as a resident, but not sure about hospital stays etc. Any advice, knowledge or experiences really welcomed. Thank you. ;)

jay55 Tue 31-Dec-13 14:26:24

Section 54
The Department of Health regulations currently allow Youth Mobility Scheme participants
to be exempt from charges for NHS hospital treatment after they have spent a period of 12
months in the United Kingdom� They will also be exempt during periods of employment (including
self-employment) in the first 12 months of their stay, but not during periods in that first 12 months
when they are not working.

So sounds like all okay if they are working.

Ruggles Tue 31-Dec-13 17:51:01

Hi Jay, that is great, thank you ;)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now