This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

I can't decide on childcare for my baby

(13 Posts)
Mrswellyboot Mon 30-Dec-13 01:57:02

Hi, he will be nearly seven months old. I work until three daily.

There is a registered cm in my small town.
There are three crèches. One is a six mile drive in opposite direction to work.
The other is nearer but on dangerous back road. I get good vibes from both, they don't have tv, walkers, staff very well qualified, nice staff.

He other is on route but it seemed more sloppy IYSWIM. Big tv was first thing she showed me on the tour, discussed money first etc.

I know I may seem fussy.

The cheapest option is my favourite by coincidence but there is not much difference between all. But it will add on another twenty mins in the morning.

Cm will only have our baby in the day, I am worried he will only get to do school runs, cbeebies, grocery shop run etc. I know for a fact he won't be doing many activities. But does he need to? I will do a lot with him in the evening (walk in his pram, songs etc) this is also the nearest?

Your opinions appreciated flowers

Mrswellyboot Mon 30-Dec-13 01:59:26

Sorry I may seem unclear.

I would prefer a crèche than a cm on her own, if I need to raise issues etc i would rather a more professional set up and it concerns me why there are no other children using her. I don't know my neighbours well enough to ask.

DoYouLikeMyBaubles Mon 30-Dec-13 02:01:49

Was waiting for this after your comment, I can't help but hope you get the help you need thanks

HappySunflower Mon 30-Dec-13 02:09:02

By 'crèche' do you mean a nursery?

Mrswellyboot Mon 30-Dec-13 02:09:19

Thank you bangers flowers

I have one more option but she is full so I am keeping my fingers crossed. Work collegue is very happy with her. Might ring her.

Mrswellyboot Mon 30-Dec-13 02:09:55

Yes, they call them crèches here sorry

Twinklestarstwinklestars Mon 30-Dec-13 03:06:01

If it's proper ofsted registered cm they will follow eyfs the sane as any nursery so the cm will follow his interests and do activities to suit his needs.

ChippingInLovesChristmasLights Mon 30-Dec-13 11:27:37

Fussy?? You are entitled to try to find the very best place you can - it's your baby you are looking at leaving there, not your dry cleaning! 'Fussy' is good! fgrin

I can see what you mean about preferring to have a 'professional' relationship, but to be honest, I would go with a CM as I think babies are much better off in a home from home environment whenever possible.

If you are worried about him bonding with her - don't be, it's a good thing and does NOT lessen his bond with you, love isn't limited and you will always be his Mum.

I would ring the CM your friend recommended and go and see her. If you like her but she doesn't have a space ask her to keep your number & call you if/when she has one as you might want to move him. I would go and see the other CM too.

If you decide to go for the creche - I would go for the one that you like the best and is not on the dangerous backroad - yes it's another 20 minutes in the morning, but I would much rather that than risk life & limb every day, twice a day, with my baby in the car.

Good luck, it's not easy.

Mrswellyboot Mon 30-Dec-13 11:36:03

Thank you so much.

Well I have narrowed it down to the nice nursery adding twenty mins, it is in a rural area. Small numbers, home poked meals, beautiful facilities. It won't affect the evening run as I will be taking him swimming etc and its nearer town.

I have ruled out local cm after net searches through the night. I had a feeling that wouldn't be right.

Going to try work friends cm again. This would be idea

flowers no one will love him like I love him .. Sob ..

You are right, no one will love him like you but he will be loved...very much.

I am a cm and have used cms, nurseries and nannies for my now grown up children so I know the pros and cons of all types of child care.

As a cm I love my little ones very much. My own children have grown up and because of things I will not get grand children. The children I look after are my grandchildren now.

I haven't seen them since the Friday before Xmas and I am bloody missing them.

I am registered for three little folk at a time but only on one day a week do I have the full amount. I don't have enough knees for three... Having two at a time gives them lots and lots of cuddles and snuggles....and helps with my poor back and my sanity!

You choose what you feel is best for your little fellow.... Go with your gut feeling.

Good luck in your search

kimmills222 Thu 02-Jan-14 12:52:23

I think decision governing on childcare, including finding a child care or early education is a toughest decision for every parent. But be sure, before coming to final conclusion take care of every aspects whether it be family's needs and the environment you and your child will feel most comfortable with.

Mrswellyboot Thu 02-Jan-14 16:25:12

Thanks again. We are coming across the issue of cm being full but there are nursery places. Going to wait until Monday until all places re-open.

HappySunflower Thu 02-Jan-14 21:15:10

My daughter goes to a nursery.
One consideration you might want to have, is what school you are planning on your child going to. I deliberately chose a nursery not far from my school of choice so that hopefully she will make friendships that will then continue into school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now