This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Has anybody managed to appeal their registration being cancelled?

(10 Posts)
BagOfBags Sun 29-Dec-13 22:18:45

Hi, I'm looking for a bit of advice.
I'm a self employed nanny (I'm allowed to be self employed as I do emergency cover, short contracts etc. and don't have a permanent employer). I'm on the Ofsted Voluntary register.
Stupidly I completely forgot to pay my registration fee, they did send me a reminder about a week ago but I put it to one side at Christmas, meaning to pay it but never getting round to it.
Yesterday I received a letter from them saying they're going to cancel my registration, which means that I would find it hard to get any Ofsted registration in the future. I've now paid the fee online and I have the opportunity to appeal either on the phone or in writing. Does anyone have any tips as to what I should say in the appeal? Will apologising, saying I forgot and paying the fee be enough?
Thanks!

DramaMcLama Mon 30-Dec-13 17:19:56

why would it be difficult to re register? surly you'd just reapply?

BagOfBags Mon 30-Dec-13 22:18:10

The letter explained that if your registration is terminated Ofsted usually won't let you register again in the future.

However I spoke to them today and was told that as I've now paid my registration definitely won't be cancelled, sons bit of a panic over nothing!

DramaMcLama Fri 03-Jan-14 09:37:56

how odd. I've nor had that. I called yday and said my family weren't renewing as my contract is ending and I just 'closed' my registration, and would need to reapplyin future. .no problem and no threats of being unable to register again in future?

DramaMcLama Fri 03-Jan-14 09:37:56

how odd. I've nor had that. I called yday and said my family weren't renewing as my contract is ending and I just 'closed' my registration, and would need to reapplyin future. .no problem and no threats of being unable to register again in future?

NomDeClavier Sat 04-Jan-14 20:44:48

If you resign it's different from being struck off, be it for non-payment or malpractice.

DerbyshireNanny Sun 05-Jan-14 15:28:11

I have this problem to and am rather stressed. The letter came through whilst i have been away on holiday so im guessing its to late for me to do anything, so cant be registered again sad

nannynick Sun 05-Jan-14 17:04:41

Whilst it may complicate registering again, I do not think it means you can never be re-registered.

Looking at 120082 - Guide to Registration Early Years Register Childminder

28. You may be disqualified from registration if you, or a person who lives with you, have been:
refused registration as a childcare provider previously or have had registration cancelled, unless the cancellation was only for non-payment of the fee for continued registration after 1 September 2008 *19

From 6 April 2007, this applies to those providers whose registration on the voluntary part of the Childcare Register was cancelled solely for non-payment of the fee for continued registration.

30. If you are disqualified from registration, you can, in some cases, ask us to consider waiving the disqualification so that you may still apply to be registered as a childminder. Please contact us if you wish to apply for a waiver.

So to me it seems to say, you may be disqualified from registration so that gives hope that if disqualification was purely on grounds of non-payment of fee, that you could apply for a waiver so they would then consider registration.

BagOfBags Mon 06-Jan-14 15:42:50

Thanks everyone, I've just seen all these replies.
Ofsted terminating your registration is different to you terminating yourself. I've cancelled my registration myself in the past and reapplied with no problems.

derbyshirenanny I actually think the letter is a bit misleading. When I spoke it ofsted they said that if it's for non payment the action is cancelled as soon as they receive payment. If I were you I'd pay ASAP then call them to confirm, I'm sure it won't be too late.

DerbyshireNanny Mon 06-Jan-14 16:06:55

Hi bagsofbags, yes it is misleading i spoke to them this morning.
They said I could either pay the fee, or leave it as it is. She told me it would then take longer when i want to re-register but i wouldnt actually be refused as its not a safeguarding issue

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now