This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Leaving childminding ...

(10 Posts)
MPB Fri 27-Dec-13 19:38:42

How did you know it was time to leave the job?

Registered for 2 years, tried it fairly successful at it.
Full Tues-Thur with 1 day vacancy on Fri. Take a Mon in School hours off.

Moved house in summer. Just dislike the job, youngest DC at full time school now.

LCHammer Fri 27-Dec-13 19:48:10

You said you disliked the job so maybe it's time?

minderjinx Fri 27-Dec-13 19:51:33

I think whatever the job, if you can say "I dislike the job" with no ifs or buts, then it's time to plan your next career change. My own youngest is at full time school and I thought that would be the time to move on, but I just can't bring myself to - there is always one more little one to see through to starting school or some other milestone. Good luck with your decision, but it seems to me you have already made your choice.

YourHandInMyHand Fri 27-Dec-13 19:59:32

I think if you've identified that you aren't liking it then its time for a change, it's not really a job where you can fake enthusiasm IME.

I stopped cm'ing in 2009 due to my son's needs (he has autism) and plan to go back to it soon now he is older and his development has come on more. For me I left cm'ing due to other factors but can't imagine doing it if long term if I wasn't enjoying it.

MPB Fri 27-Dec-13 20:01:52

I have, but I need a job to move to. Or to learn to live on thin air!

I really love my little ones, but really dislike the after school aspect. Kids obviously all fine individually.

I also detest the cliquey nature of the other CM's. Or maybe it's just me!

I will obviously feel awful for the parents and children. But need to put my family first.

Lucylouby Fri 27-Dec-13 21:20:14

I thought I was nearing the end of childminding. I had had enough of toys taking over my home and all the stuff that goes with small children forever being in the way now that my own children have grown out of them. But, we moved house recently and it has changed my outlook. We now have loads more storage, so I can put the toys away at the weekend and it just doesn't seem to be taking over my whole life anymore.
But, from what you have written, it sounds like you have had enough. You dislike the job and I think it must be hard to put everything into a job when you dislike it. Do you have to have after school children or are they your own children? If you have any minded after school ones can you finish with them so there after school isn't so hard?
You are right that you have to do what is right for your family and if leaving childminding is right then that is what you have to do.

HSMMaCM Fri 27-Dec-13 21:55:54

I gave up school runs and have been much happier since then.

MPB Fri 27-Dec-13 22:17:56

We moved four months ago, and although I love my new house, I miss the very large conservatory and the vast expanses of laminate floor for doing messy stuff.
I don't regret the move as I don't think it is a job you can base such an important decision on.

We are not fully sorted with regards to storage and maybe once we get the garage sorted it may be better.

But I find the school run a major drag, a couple of kids who misbehave, plus my eldest is pushing my buttons. We moved to a house further away from school, I can walk it in 15 minutes old house was 5 minutes away. But after school it takes 25-30 minutes.

I've let the paper work side of it slip, and I am well over due an inspection.

Flisspaps Fri 27-Dec-13 22:31:33

The lack of job security and the paperwork did it for me.

Now I've gone back to admin at least I leave the paperwork behind at 5pm grin

MPB Fri 27-Dec-13 22:44:26

Flisspaps - wondered where you'd gone! (I'm a name changer I frigging outed myself, liked my old name as well!)

Yes the lack of job security is an issue. Before we moved I lost my main source of income a few weeks before we moved. With some set to come in Sept - but I never trust parents until the children actually start as I've been messed about so much. So I was a bit worried. Although I secretly hoped they wouldn't start!

It's just taking that plunge isn't it?

The daft thing is that I have grandparents and another relative who will do childcare. Plus one back up if necessary. I could do with 2-3 days work. Time to dust the CV off I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now