Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Our AP has cut DD's fringe, badly.

(9 Posts)
DizziDoll Sat 21-Dec-13 10:03:22

I came home from work yesterday and got a shock when I saw DD (6). Our AP had cut her fringe and it is way too short and wonky. She didn't ask permission to do it. What't worse is that we have to go and get passport pictures done today for her passport that will be valid for the next 5 year and will cost us near enough £100.

I didn't say anything other than 'oh, it's very short'. She meant it well and is generally very very good. Also, she is going back home at the start of January.

Should I say something to her? She is going to be a teacher in Germany and I think she overstepped the boundary with my DD. Should I tell her this so she understand that this is not something she can do in her future career without parental permission?

I hate confrontational conversations, especially when she is very lovely in general.

mousmous Sat 21-Dec-13 10:08:01

did your dd maybe get chewing gum into her hair or leaned too closely into a candle?
I agree she should have told you and maybe gone to a hairdresser to minimise the wonkyness.

hair grows it's not a big deal, children's passport photos are supposed to look, well, strange wink

MrsSteptoe Sat 21-Dec-13 10:08:28

Oh dear! If she's going to be a teacher, though, it's unlikely that she'll cut anyone's hair again, so maybe let sleeping dogs lie... as you can tell, I don't like saying things to people if I'm afraid I'll hurt their feelings either!

DizziDoll Sat 21-Dec-13 10:13:46

Mous - no, it was just a little long and needed a trim. I can always try and put a hairband in so the fringe is away from her forehead, so it is not a major issue. She does sometimes have issues with overstepping the boundaries, like being strict with the kids telling them to go upstairs to bed when I am playing with them. It is all meant well though. If she was staying longer, I might have said something but in January we will have a nanny starting and i can set expectations better with her.

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 21-Dec-13 14:48:32

i find that parents cut hair badly wink many a time ive come in after a weekend and find that dc hair is very short/wonky pmsl

yes she should have asked you or taken to hairdressers etc BUT it will grow, so use a clip/handband etc for photo and if that short/wonky then brush hair back so has a clear spam forehead

duchesse Sat 21-Dec-13 14:53:47

Are you sure she did it and not DD? Maybe if DD had done it they'd both have been worried, DD because she'd done it and AP because she hadn't supervised her well enough?

FWIW, 3yo DD3 cut hers with a pair of nail scissors and luckily was found before she managed to get at the back. She'd only just managed to grow her previous fringe to the same length as the rest so we were back to square one. Thankfully she did rather a good job of it!

DizziDoll Sat 21-Dec-13 18:48:01

Oh no Duchesse! But she is getting better so maybe nect time she'll save you some hairdressing money grin

DH took her to have per picture taken. Clips looked silky and a headband wasn't allowed for passport picture. It is truly awful :-(. She doesn't look like herself at all and looks like a boy.

It wasn't DD as they both would have just said it was her. Our AP just took it upon herself to do it. She cuts her friends hair so maybe thought she could do a good job. I will be stipulating to any future caregiver that they can't cut hair.

In fact, DS's hair is quite long, so I will tell the AP that she can't cut his hair!!

My stepDSis was a hairdresser. Her dd is 4 and hardly has any hair. It took a long time to grow it. So my StepDSis was not amused when her dd came home from school having played hairdressers with her friends. With 3 teachers in the class grin.

goodtimesinbontemps Sat 21-Dec-13 18:55:02

I would be really annoyed at that! She totally overstepped her boundries cutting your childs hair and I would have to say something to her.

Mim78 Tue 21-Jan-14 23:04:46

My mil did this to dd just before my brother's wedding - it's in all the pictures! She meant well (dd had just hads chicken pox and mil thought the fringe was annoying her) but aargh! We were a certain way through painstaking growing out process too. Did manage to grow it out eventually...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now