This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CMs, housework and organisation - I need some tips please!

(7 Posts)
LingDiLong Fri 20-Dec-13 13:13:07

It may just be this time of year, with the added stress of Christmas but I feel like I'm struggling to keep on top of everything.

I'd like my house to be tidier with the toys more organised and a neater, cleaner kitchen. The problem is I work full time hours and have 3 of my own kids, one of whom is only in school in the mornings so time is at a real premium. My house is pretty small too so there's no real designated space for childminding.

How does everyone else manage? Do you have cleaners? Do you have a proper rota or system to keep on top of the kitchen stuff and how often do you do things like clean the oven, clean out the cupboards etc etc?

Do you clean all the toys every day or weekly or on any other regular basis? And how many toys do you have out? I use what would be a dining room as a 'playroom' but in order to have toys for every age group I feel like we are absolutely swamped in them with stuff piled up everywhere.

Come September when my own child goes full time I intend to drop a day so I can have a full 6 hours in which to catch up properly on cleaning/planning/paperwork. In the meantime my organisational skills just aren't up to the job of finding a way of fitting everything in!!

MPB Fri 20-Dec-13 17:36:30

I've gone from having a dedicated conservatory in my old house to working from living and dining room. I feel cluttered too!

I have a large ottoman and an ikea trofast step storage in the lounge. Plus shelving in dining room and an ikea kitchen in the corner.

Plus a large plastic drawer set full of craft stuff.

Aaarrrggghhh!

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 20-Dec-13 19:19:17

Could you downsize the toy collection and join a toy library or share with another childminder?

If you can afford it definitely get a cleaner.

Get the kids to help with cleaning/tidying the toys. Mine really enjoy it!

PhoebeMcPeePee Fri 20-Dec-13 20:11:18

I haven't got a dedicated playroom either & now my DC are school age I try not to let baby/toddler toys take over my downstairs so have most things well hidden largely possible due to good cupboard space. My large craft box is kept in under stairs cupboard with paints, crayons, stickers, glitter etc all in separate tubs so can just pick out bits I need, ditto big basket of playdoh stuff & a load of I've got 3 underbed storage boxes on wheels under my sofa with duplo, cars & train track in each. I keep puzzles & boardgames under my sideboard in the dining room & have 6 (grown-up looking) storage cubes in the living room for little people sets, dolls, dressing up clothes, musical instruments, play food & baby toys - I get these down on rotation or if a child asks specifically. I have a massive wooden toy box that I've put a seat pad on so it doubles as extra seating - I've just sorted this & now have various boxes rather than 1 big mess grin

The only things you can actually see on display when you come in my house (on a non work day wink) is an easel with a couple of bigger toys stored underneath.

All my kids (DC & mindees) know it's tidy up time 5 mins before lunch & again at home time so I don't have to spend half an hour tidying on my own once they've all gone - a tip from another cm for which I'm forever grateful.
Finally (!) I keep on top of housework by doing washing daily, making DH have a couple of specific jobs, having Saturday morning to myself when DH takes DC to sports & significantly lowering my standardswink

thankfeckitschrismas Sat 21-Dec-13 09:01:16

I have the best husband in the world. He finishes hks shift at 2.30 then comes and helps me

However whenever I buy something he always asks. Where is that going to go...

I finished for Christmas yesterday, so we can have a normal holiday.

LingDiLong Sat 21-Dec-13 09:18:03

Thanks everyone. Glad to see I'm not the only one who struggles with this issue MPB. I do need to get the minded kids more involved in tidying up at the end of the day as some of you have suggested. My own kids are great and always help once everyone's gone but it's not fair on them to do everything really.

I might try a cleaner in the New Year. I think we could afford it but just worry that it won't make a significance day-to-day difference. Worth a try though!

I'm already a member of the toy library but that just adds to the toys as I haven't managed the downsizing bit grin

Phoebe, thanks for those storage tips, I'm definitely going to be using some of those. Standards are as low as they can be without me having to be shut down for Health & Safety reasons!!

Thankfeck, my husband is a hoarder. He's worse than me for clutter!

Loopdeloop09 Tue 31-Dec-13 09:26:08

I'm stay at home single mum with 5 children only 4 live with me full time but my house is always a mess I feel like I'm constantly chasing my tail and getting no where it's doing my head right in and I hate cleaning as well so that don't help

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now