This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Mother of an aupair-to-be... AIBParanoid?

(7 Posts)
Lucie45 Wed 18-Dec-13 13:02:13

My eldest is 18 and has found herself what seems like a lovely host family where she can aupair (her first auparing job), in Germany, American husband, 2 young children... yet I get images of "Taken" and human trafficking rings using fake host families as a front!! She found the family through aupair world and there doesn't seem to be any screening of host families. Meanwhile I checked the host fb pages (see, I AM being paranoid!) and all seems genuine. My daughter's been to Africa (Zambia) aged 16, and Canada where I'm from, so knows what it's like to travel and speaks a bit of German. This was all on her own initiative (she's on a gap year), from registering with aupair world to finding the right HF to emailing and skyping them. My mind is gradually easing but... any thoughts on this? TIA!

You're being a loon wink

Chill out. She's a smart cookie. Germany is not all that far away.

OutragedFromLeeds Wed 18-Dec-13 13:48:33

I think she'll be fine in Germany! If she was going to the Middle East I'd be a bit more concerned. Take a photocopy/scan of her passport before she goes.

YABparanoid grin

Lucie45 Wed 18-Dec-13 14:49:02

OK that is reassuring. Not as reassuring as being married to Liam Neeson but a good startsmile

Catzenobia Wed 18-Dec-13 20:53:55

I am on au pair world as a host family. We are absolutely genuine and have just said goodbye to our amazing au pair after a year and we have all had a great year. Totally understand how you feel but it is so easy to stay in touch these days and if she is not happy she can always come back.

lilyaldrin Wed 18-Dec-13 21:25:00

Germany has quite good regulations to protect au pairs - the family will register her to get tax relief on childcare, they'll have to register her with the local town hall, she will get a contract, pay/time off/size of bedroom even are all regulated.

Marylou62 Fri 20-Dec-13 17:09:47

Oh I so feel for you!! Frankly I'd be more worried if you didn't worry!! I went to Athens to be a nanny when I was 19...long time ago now...before mobile phones skyping etc... I had an amazing time...got into all kinds of scrapes...sorted them out myself. I didn't call my parents for 3 weeks once...god how selfish I know!!! Anyway...I now have a DD and would feel just like you do. But you have to trust her to know how to look after herself and if at any time she feels uncomfortable she knows how to summon help. There is a saying.. 'There are but two things to give a child..one is roots and the other is wings.' I never forget the look on my families face when I just turned up at home after a year long adventure!!! Big hugs xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now