Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Can I use a childminder for wrap around care?

(34 Posts)
ziggiestardust Tue 17-Dec-13 21:31:15

DH works shifts, and I work 9-5.

50% of the time, DH will be able to do pick up and drop off. The other 50%, because the nursery is 8-4:30 (and it's really good so am reluctant to choose another), would it be possible to drop DS at a childminder to be dropped off at nursery, and for the CM to pick him up and keep him until 6pm?

It's just an extension of the care, so 2.5 hours a day, possibly less, 50% of the time.

Is this acceptable? Can you do this?

MortifiedAnyFuckerAdams Tue 17-Dec-13 21:34:36

Yep. Most will want set days, but yes.

NickNacks Tue 17-Dec-13 21:35:12

Hmm.

I theiry yes but I wouldn't give up a full time space for such little hours. I'd also feel pretty second best being asked to only drop and collect at another childcare provision.

Pancakeflipper Tue 17-Dec-13 21:37:49

My neighbour have this type of care for her 2 children. Her childminder works with another childminder making school and nursery pick-up easier.
In fact I think the child minder just now does drop offs and pick ups and has no full time charges.

ziggiestardust Tue 17-Dec-13 21:40:39

I can give days and hours required 6 weeks prior, so notice isn't a problem.

ziggiestardust Tue 17-Dec-13 21:41:33

nicknacks I can understand that, I hope I didn't offend you.

pancakeflipper where are you based? Do you think I'd be able to find this sort of arrangement in Surrey?

NickNacks Tue 17-Dec-13 21:42:26

No your missing the point. You'd probably have to pay for all the days even on the weeks you won't need them. Unless someone has an ad-hoc space for an under 5 they don't mind giving you.

NickNacks Tue 17-Dec-13 21:44:03

Oh gosh no not offended!

Pancakeflipper Tue 17-Dec-13 21:45:16

Sadly not near Surrey but hope you find someone who can help.

ziggiestardust Tue 17-Dec-13 21:50:50

nicknacks no that's fair enough given the number of hours

ziggiestardust Tue 17-Dec-13 21:51:09

Would a nanny service be a better bet, do you think?

lovelynannytobe Tue 17-Dec-13 22:34:49

From an ex childminder pow I would not offer the space mostly because of the timing. 4.30 is dinner timeish and I would have to drag all the other children with me to collect yours.
Also that would be very few hours I would have to charge a higher fee and want paying all days you might need as otherwise it just wouldn't be worth keeping the space open.

HSMMaCM Tue 17-Dec-13 22:36:18

How about a CM all day - we follow the same curriculum as nurseries?

ziggiestardust Tue 17-Dec-13 22:59:38

To be honest I've never really considered a CM all day. I don't know why!

Pancakeflipper Tue 17-Dec-13 23:01:23

Is the nursery near a school? If so ask there about possible CM's - our school has a list of local ones who do drop/collection. Worth an ask.

ziggiestardust Tue 17-Dec-13 23:04:23

Yes it is pancake. I would be happy if the CM wanted to pick up along with the other children at primary school kick out time, as like I say; it wouldn't be all the time. Between 8 and 15 days a month depending on DH's pattern and when it fell.

This would normally be where a family member stood in, but we don't have anyone to help us out.

ziggiestardust Tue 17-Dec-13 23:09:02

HSMMaCM I think that because up until now, where I've lived there's been such poor CM provision. Nurseries are the only option, really.

Twinklestarstwinklestars Wed 18-Dec-13 01:11:44

As a cm I wouldn't like to do a 4.30 pick up but if I had a spare space would maybe suggest a 3.45/4pm pick up to fit with school runs and save taking the others back out. You may struggle with the few hours though.

HSMMaCM Wed 18-Dec-13 07:05:35

Ah ... Of course I'm not suggesting you go for poor quality care. Just that it might have been easier to find an all day CM than a few hours.

How about a student, who could fit it around classes? (But might not be around in the holidays)

Waggamamma Wed 18-Dec-13 08:03:54

I've just tried to find exactly the same thing op (although different area) and out of twelve child minders in my catchment, none wanted the job as it's too few hours sad .

I needed pick up from school attached preschool at 3pm and look after him until 6pm. set days no shift pattern.

I've had to call in favours from friends and rearrange my working hours.

ziggiestardust Wed 18-Dec-13 09:05:59

I wonder whether in this case, an au pair might be a better option? She could more or less be a full time student, so a good opportunity for her as the hours would be so low.

ziggiestardust Wed 18-Dec-13 09:15:15

twinkle yes I'd be willing to be flexible with that as I appreciate the timing can be a bit difficult!

I might have a look at au pair agencies to see if that might suit us more; I suppose then at least if a train was running late it wouldn't be as big an issue. It's only pick up and drop off between 8 - 15 days a month, depending on DH's shift pattern.

NoSquirrels Wed 18-Dec-13 09:22:32

Or advertise at a local FE college for a student? It's the type of job a retiree might like too.

ziggiestardust Wed 18-Dec-13 09:40:19

Good thought FE I'll do that actually.

DoingItForMyself Wed 18-Dec-13 09:43:46

I think the problem is that wraparound CMs are generally looking after school age children and may not be familiar with the early years foundation stuff that is needed for under 5s. They may also not be OFSTED registered for under 5s as there are separate registers for different ages. As a wraparound/holiday CM I am only on the childcare & voluntary (over 8s) registers, not the EYFS one.

I would be happy about the hours (most of mine will only be 2-3 hours after school) but as others have said, I don't think you could specify a random 8-15 days a month, you'd have to book her for set days e.g. Mon/Tues/Weds every week or every day, not Monday one week and then Tuesday the next, as she won't be able to fill the free days with anyone else and CMs are limited on the numbers they can take with little ones.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now