This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

I'm considering giving up the job hunt and working elsewhere

(31 Posts)

But I REALLY don't want to

I've been looking for a job since mid september (which I know isn't long in the grand scheme of things but it feels like a year) - I actually found one but gave my notice 2 weeks in because, frankly, I was treated like crap and I absolutely dreaded going in each day from about day 3...that was 4 weeks ago and I'm thoroughly fed up now.

Is it worth waiting until after christmas or should I just give up (I grent you I'm whining, but I'm fed up!)...I'm Ofsted registered. crb'd,1st aid trained, fab references but it's just not happening! And I live in London...hardly the back of beyond wink

So....give up or stick it out a bit longer?

OutragedFromLeeds Sat 14-Dec-13 00:48:54

I'd stick it out, but it depends if you can afford to and how likely you are to get another job. I don't think it's easy to get any job at the moment, so if you don't have qualifications and/or experience in another area then you're probably going to struggle there as well.

Maybe see if you can get a Christmas temp job, but carry on looking for nanny jobs as well?

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 14-Dec-13 09:37:41

I wouldn't give up as you enjoy nannying - but as Leeds said there are less jobs about at moment and def employers market

But obv you need a salary coming in. Have you thought about temping?

And maybe apply for other jobs while you look for the right nanny job

Agree no point staying in a job you absolutely hated

sunshinenanny Thu 19-Dec-13 12:46:48

The situation is bad at the moment but if you love looking after children please keep trying even if you have to look at other options.

It is demoralising knowing you cannot get a job you've trained for and are good at but it's not your fault so don't take it personally.

WaitingForPeterWimsey Thu 19-Dec-13 23:27:41

There are honestly countless mums desperate for a pt nanny. If you quote a competitive salary and take two jobs (say a 3 and a 2 day) you could be sorted?

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 20-Dec-13 03:54:33

Hopefully 2014 will be a new job - it's harder to do two jobs 2/3 day to get them to fit in ad obv have 4 employers to please

Christmas is a bad time to look for a job and always quieter then other months

Think I said before could you temp? I do a lot of work via TINIES and my family care (emergency work) not sure if in your area tho a lot of London /big companies use mfc.

If you did do other work what would it be?

WaitingForPeterWimsey Fri 20-Dec-13 06:56:07

I see that blondes about the pt work, but I find it sad that so many good nannies are struggling to find work when there is pt work available. I know 3 mums including me who have tried and failed to find pt nannies and have been forced down other childcare routes.

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 20-Dec-13 13:22:09

It's a real problem at the moment. Nannies don't want to work part-time and mum's don't want to work full-time. Resulting in a real lack of full-time nanny jobs and part-time nannies!

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 20-Dec-13 13:25:36

See I want to wk part time - 3 days is my ideal and in a row

Seem to be more ft nanny jobs In my area

Maybe you all need to move to blondes land grin

kazza446 Fri 20-Dec-13 13:34:09

Stick it out. As an employer I always avoid recruiting in December as people are too busy to be looking for jobs and attend interviews. The job market will probably pick up in January x

WaitingForPeterWimsey Fri 20-Dec-13 16:28:08

I've suggested this before, but I think the answer is a part time nanny 'speed date' night, where people wanting compatible pt can couple up and then recruit a full time nanny together! Nannies could come too.

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 20-Dec-13 16:43:55

That's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure it would eradicate the problems of doing two part-time jobs.

Would the families have to agree to take holiday at the same time? Would they be matched in terms of how long they're looking to employ a nanny for?

Artandco Fri 20-Dec-13 16:49:19

Royal nannies seem to have hundreds atm

WaitingForPeterWimsey Fri 20-Dec-13 16:53:17

I would be happy to agree holiday with another family - we are pretty flexible.

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 20-Dec-13 16:58:53

You would, but would it be a requirement at the speed night?

WaitingForPeterWimsey Fri 20-Dec-13 17:21:13

I think it would have to be.

I should actually organise this rather than talking about it!

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 20-Dec-13 17:29:47

It's a great idea if you could make it work.

I'd say the main problems for nannies are;

holiday
one family pulling out and then needing to find another job to fit
more parents to please/more job related problems
harder to become part of a nanny community if the jobs are far apart
harder to bond with the children
harder to deal with children, it's so much easier to get them into a routine/used to your rules if you have them 4/5 days.

If you can sort some of these it would be great and very popular!

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 20-Dec-13 17:30:55

oh and being paid from two different sources and families disagreeing about paying for things like Ofsted registration, first aid training, annual passes etc.

sunshinenanny Sat 21-Dec-13 23:16:41

3/4 days would be my ideal as well but at the moment there seems to be very little about in my area. There are some interesting ideas on this thread.

I find it hard to take on board that anyone has to go down a different childcare route because they can't get a nanny to work part time.

I have found when job hunting that parents you take the trouble to contact and leave phone number's/email addresses with often cannot be bothered to get back to you. even if you don't think a nanny is ideal for you would it hurt to give them a call just to check it out. You might be agreeably surprised.

LovelyNanny26 Tue 24-Dec-13 08:18:26

Outraged I don't think you are being fair. I have found two part time jobs. One 3 second one 2 days.It was easy to fit them together.All your excuses are rather silly especially if you have not been working for 3 month.This really annoys me with English nannies. We will only work full time for 30k a year.Those days are gone.Especially when polosh and eastern European nannies are cheaper and willing to go the extra mile. I im sorry but this is just my opinion.

I've done the 3 day/2 day job and it was much trickier then I originally thought. ..lovelynanny great that you founf that it works but actually outraged has some really good points. ..

and I'm not sure why the "This really annoys me with English nannies" comment is necessary

LovelyNanny26 Tue 24-Dec-13 11:46:39

She has but they are really pointless. That's why Eastern European nannies are beating you all hands down

Well no, they're not at all pointless if you've worked in a jon where most of those points have been the main issues

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 24-Dec-13 16:28:31

when i work full time i earn a lot more then £30k lol grin and yes as an english nanny i expect to be paid more then polish/european etc nannies, and if by saying they go the extra mile, you mean cleaning, then thats up to them, if i wanted to be a cleaner i wouldnt have trained as a nanny!!!

i went to college and studied hard for 2 years to become a nanny - many of the above have no formal quals

seriously leeds make good points about 2/3day jobs and joining them together - many of them valid from friends i know who have co joined 2 jobs

but who lnows speed nannying may catch on grin

WaitingForPeterWimsey Tue 24-Dec-13 19:22:03

I do appreciate the points about the difficulties for nannies with two part time roles and it's been really helpful to assist me in understanding why it was so hard for us to recruit.

A bit sad though when we and other families had top whack nanny salary burning a hole in our pocket but couldn't recruit a nanny and then reading of nannies on here thinking of leaving a job they love. Maybe dealing with a few wrinkles might be better than that?

In the end we went the ap route as even agencies couldn't find us anyone to nanny. We now get 30 hours a week (including cooking, ironing and cleaning as well as childcare) for £90 per week. Our aps have all been mid twenties, fluent inEnglish and student teachers from other EU countries.

I would think the demand for nannies will really shoot up again once the economy recovers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now