This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

What would you expect to be cheaper....

(31 Posts)
IneedAsockamnesty Tue 10-Dec-13 17:23:52

I asked this on a thread but thought it may be more appropriate to start my own.

I was chatting to a friend last night who was asking me about my childcare and she asked what different things cost. She's thinking of going back to work after 15 years of being a sahm

I realised I didn't have a clue, I haven't used a nursery for 18 years a nanny for 13 years so my only recent experience is of two childminders.

So in order of least - most expensive what would order you expect it to be (outside of London) between childminder,nanny and nursery.

If your not bothered by sharing the actual cost I'm also quite interested in how often sibling discounts show up she has 3.and if ofstead rating makes a difference.

I pay mine £6 ph for each child no sibling discount. But I am about to stsrt with a different one as I've recently found out that the going rate in my area is only £3.70 ph each child and I'm not comfortable with my cm's rusk assessment did think I was being silly until I read her recent ofstead report and they highlighted the same things as an issue.

I guessed that in cost order it would be childminder then nanny then nursery (nursery being the most expensive) but I have no idea if I'm correct.

It depends on many factors though.

With one pre-school aged child I'd say Nursery or childminder, then nanny.
With two pre-school children the costs could level out across all three though nannies will be slightly more expensive due to employer costs.
With three it's a no brainer as a nanny would be cheaper than the other two.

NomDeClavier Tue 10-Dec-13 17:39:16

Totally depends how many children, what hours, the nanny/CM's experience and what extras they charge etc.

If you have 1 child and need 40 hours care a week between 9am and 5pm, then a nursery is likely to be cheapest. But if you have 3 children and work shifts which include unsociable hours a live in nanny is going to be cheaper than a CM and a nursery won't be practical.

So it's a bit of a how long is a piece of string question, which is also the reply to 'how much does a nanny cost' because you can paying anything from £7 to £17 per hour.

IneedAsockamnesty Tue 10-Dec-13 17:55:04

She's looking at retail type jobs but part time about 20 hours no weekends but both term and school holidays. None of her kids are in school yet.

I'm not very up on tax credits and childcare costs but my understanding is you can't get any help with costs for a nanny.

busyDays Tue 10-Dec-13 18:06:40

Like others have said, it depends on so many factors. In my area a childminder is roughly £5/hour per child and sibling discounts don't really exist. That generally includes all meals and activities. Nurseries charge about £65/day per child regardless of how many hours you need, and again, that includes meals and activities. Nannies seem to be very roughly £10-12/hour but then you have employers costs, meals, activities, petrol, etc. on top. So around here, for three children under 5 a nanny would probably be the cheapest. The local after school club is only £9 from 3pm-6pm, so if some of the children are school age, then a combination of an after school club and chilminder may well be cheaper.

nannynick Tue 10-Dec-13 18:14:14

3 children under 4, then I would say:

nanny
childminder / nursery

Reason is that a nanny cost is not per child.
Things would be different if there were less children.

Once eldest child is at school there may be other options but would need to weigh up the inconvience of taking/collecting children from multiple places.

Tax credits can be used towards a nanny subject to the nanny being registered (England), approved (Wales) or recruited via a childcare agency (Scotland).

Problem though is that with whatever childcare option is selected childcare cost could be higher than salary retail pays, unless at management level.

17leftfeet Tue 10-Dec-13 18:20:42

20hrs Monday-Friday in retail?

Good luck with that one -those shifts are like rocking horse poo!

nannynick Tue 10-Dec-13 18:23:46

Tax credits info is in WTC2 and WTC5 documents on hmrc.gov.uk

Max claim I think is 70% of £300, so £210 per week. Meaning if childcare cost per week was £300 they would need to pay £90 of that.

IneedAsockamnesty Tue 10-Dec-13 18:28:32

At the hours she's hoping to get she would get the full 70% help towards childcare. Granted she would be paying a Hefty chunk of her wages for child care but basing it on nmw providing the 30% was not more than her actual income she would be better off in work by about £38 a week.

She does not have a landline or access to the net so as I do how do I go about finding registered nannies so I can let her use my phone and call some. (I've never even heard of registered nannies before today)

IneedAsockamnesty Tue 10-Dec-13 18:31:56

My brother owns a shop he likes he (in a purely friend way).

IneedAsockamnesty Tue 10-Dec-13 18:36:12

Her not he

Artandco Tue 10-Dec-13 18:39:41

Nanny cheapest for 3. However finding a nanny willing to only work for 20 hrs will be hard. Most work 50-60hrs hence a good wage. Most wont be able to afford only 20hrs a week. Unless she can do 20hrs over 2 days leaving the other 3.

lilyaldrin Tue 10-Dec-13 18:46:18

For 3 under 5, nanny would work out cheapest here, then childminder, then nursery.

Nanny around £10-£12 an hour
Childminder around £12-£15
Nursery around £15, though it would depend if the eldest got some free term-time hours

lilyaldrin Tue 10-Dec-13 18:50:50

If she's going to hire a nanny, she will be an employer with all the responsibilities that entails - running payroll, sick pay, maternity leave, contracts, feeding the nanny during work hours etc. She may find using the services of a childminder is easier.

17leftfeet Tue 10-Dec-13 18:54:32

If she is still with her partner then she may not get any tax credits

17leftfeet Tue 10-Dec-13 18:55:17

If she is still with her partner then she may not get any tax credits

IneedAsockamnesty Tue 10-Dec-13 18:59:04

Her partner up sticks and ran away with a neighbour 2 months ago she does not even know where he is.

Hence the looking into making changes.

She may decide its not worth it,I don't know I just said I would try and help find info.

17leftfeet Tue 10-Dec-13 19:01:09

Ah in that case she should get max tax credits, there is an online calculator

I hate to say it though with 3 preschoolers she may be financially better off on benefits

IneedAsockamnesty Tue 10-Dec-13 19:13:17

I've worked out all her benefits for her and what % she would get towards childcare,I just did not know the requirements that the child care provider had to forfill to get that %. Tax credits and benefits I know it was just the childcare rules I didn't know.

She will be £38 pw better off in work providing the 30% she has to pay towards her childcare is not more than £115 if it is less it will be more than £38

She would have no travel costs to factor in either.

lilyaldrin Tue 10-Dec-13 19:24:38

How many days/hours of childcare would she need?

busyDays Tue 10-Dec-13 19:38:29

If she only needs 20 hours of care then depending on the ages of the children a childminder could in theory be the cheapest. The rules on the 15 funded hours for 3-4 year olds have changed recently and now any childminder rated good or above should be able to offer them. As your friend is a single mum on low income she may well be eligible for the 2 year old funding too. It may be difficult to find a childminder with 3 available spaces though. Also, many may not want to only work a few hours a day as it will limit earning potential. It would be easier to find someone if she can condense the hours into as few days as possible.

NomDeClavier Tue 10-Dec-13 19:46:11

It really depends on the availability of childcare in the area. If she's working in retail she might be doing shifts that change weekly and that will impact on the cost. In that case a nanny is the only form killed to be flexible enough to do a pay as you go type arrangement, especially if it's a nanny with their own child. The good news is tax credits can be used towards the full cost of employing a nanny, which includes the tax/NI payments and payroll.

Try nannyjob.co.uk, MN local, Netmums childcare boards, Gumtree and childcare.co.uk - look for profiles which say the nanny is OFSTED registered. On at least two of those you'll need to pay for contact details but it will be a fraction of the cost of using an agency.

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 10-Dec-13 20:03:11

as others said depends on many factors tho averagely for one child it would be cm/nursery/nanny

but when 2/3kids its more cost effective to have a nanny and then cm/nursery as are per child prob work out roughly the same

3 under for def a nanny, yes she needs to be ofsted reg to use vouchers/tax credits

20hrs over a week isnt a lot unless 2 ten hour days and nanny has another job

obv depending where you are sock but paying £12ph for childcare and a cm, it may be cheaper for you to employ a younger/less exp nanny for say £10/11gross - plus nanny comes to you so mornings are easier, just you to get ready and out of door, compared to you and 2 kids, a nanny will also do kids washing/cook meals etc

IneedAsockamnesty Tue 10-Dec-13 21:11:38

I'm now thinking that asking my brother to give her 2 full days a week as well as making sure they are always the same days, may be a really good move then getting her to think about a nanny possibly one with her own child

HSMMaCM Tue 10-Dec-13 21:16:03

At a CM or nursery, she might be able to get 15 hrs free for any children over 3 and may be able to get free hours for children over 2, because of her circumstances.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now