This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

What do you typically get childminders for Christmas? First baby and really clueless here!

(22 Posts)
SomewhereOnlyWeKnow Tue 10-Dec-13 08:01:25

My ds has been with his childminder around four months and i really have no clue with this....what do people typically buy their childminder for Christmas?

It is a bit unusual in that there are a few childminders working together in a home setting and they have a few assistants too, although id say only two of them were his main carers when he is there.

I have seen posts on mn about people giving cash bonuses which has sent me into a panic as i thought it would be a small gift or perhaps a voucher, say what you would give a teacher and we really cant afford any extra cash for a bonus. Please help, thanks!

MortifiedAnyFuckerAdams Tue 10-Dec-13 08:07:11

I use one CM, who will be getting a bottle of wine and one of those little cheeseboards (she loves cheese and wine).

If I were in your situation (which sounds more like a private nursery!), id be giving a large box of bisicuits on the last day for them to share.

MortifiedAnyFuckerAdams Tue 10-Dec-13 08:07:36

Id say a cash bonus is more apt for a Nanny or Au Pair

HSMMaCM Tue 10-Dec-13 08:09:16

Box of biscuits

SomewhereOnlyWeKnow Tue 10-Dec-13 08:22:17

It is two childminders sorry, i dont know why i said a few, there are a few assistants but i think they are just for when it is really busy and in truth i never even see them.

I was thinking a smallish gift each for the two childminders and then a box of biscuits or chocolates for all to share. Does this sound ok?

HSMMaCM Tue 10-Dec-13 08:37:13

Sounds great

Llareggub Tue 10-Dec-13 08:40:48

I never bought anything for my CM. It's a professional relationship.

SomewhereOnlyWeKnow Tue 10-Dec-13 08:55:22

Thanks everyone for your help

minderjinx Tue 10-Dec-13 09:32:31

In my experience, almost all parents give a gift such as a plant, chocolates, wine, bubble bath. Some have given cash, vouchers or jewellery. Anything is appreciated.

HSMMaCM Tue 10-Dec-13 12:38:21

Llarggub - you are right it is a professional relationship. Some parents show appreciation through a gift or card ... Others don't.

HSMMaCM Tue 10-Dec-13 12:38:43

Sorry. Spelt your name wrong

lovelynannytobe Tue 10-Dec-13 12:48:07

Don't stress yourself about it. When I was a CM I never expected anything and tbh most of the parents lived up to my expectations and didn't give me any presents which is absolutely fine. Christmas time is expensive for most families and I wouldn't want to put them out in any way. Most I got was a box of Celebrations which I went through very quickly with my kids. If you feel you ought to buy something I would get a box of those nice biscuits they sell around Christmas and a card. Even if CM herself doesn't eat them the chances are they will be a very nice addition to assistants' cups of tea after Christmas once they're back at work.

Lucylouby Tue 10-Dec-13 12:52:58

Tends to be chocs, plant, biscuits, smellies, but some parents have bought me picture frames, ornaments or vouchers. I think it has depended how well they know me and my tastes. Your ideas sounds fine though, a small gift each and biscuits to share.

mindingalongtime Tue 10-Dec-13 13:53:51

I am happy to receive just a thank you card. I have just given away 6 boxes of chocolates, candles and wine to the WI tombola that I received for my birthday last month as I really don't eat chocolates, hate scented candles, and a fussy wine drinker! I hope I don't sound ungrateful but I'd rather my families kept their money for the little ones.

busyDays Tue 10-Dec-13 17:48:19

Many families have not given me anything, which is absolutely fine. When I have received presents they have generally been under £10 in value. I spend roughly £10 on each child's present so I would feel quite bad if parents spent more than that on mine. I have never received a bonus, cash or vouchers and would not expect anything like that. I prefer gifts that can be used up as I don't have much storage space, so things like food, wine, flowers, etc. are the best. smile

stomp Tue 10-Dec-13 19:04:28

Hand cream is always good smile i'm always washing my hands....

Over the years I've been given anything and everything, from a big cash bonus to nothing hmm...... obviously I really appreciated the money grin but receiving a card with some really nice thought out sentiments has always made me happy smile

goldie81 Tue 10-Dec-13 20:52:50

Love anything but expect nothing. Some presents I've had have been recycled Xmas presents they've not wanted but others include wine, chocs, smellies, vouchers & even a massage! A lot buy for my 3 dc so no way I'd expect for me too

lilyaldrin Tue 10-Dec-13 20:55:26

I gave DS's CM some gardening gloves and £20 in a card.

She gave DS a book and some toy cars.

yellowGiraffe8 Sat 21-Dec-13 13:50:41

I gave CM £50 and her assistant £25. I don't know whether she expected it or not, but she does a great job and I really appreciate her. I'd have given more except money is tight and I won't be getting a bonus this year.

TallulahPumpkin Sat 21-Dec-13 21:38:41

My CM and her assistant are worth their weight in gold. DS loves them and all the other kids and gets so much out of going there. Last year DS had only been there 4 months so just got them wine and chocs. This year got them each a £25 Odeon voucher (Odeon just opened up in town), enough for two tickets and some food/drink. Also going to help ds to make them a card each.

Jinglebellsforthebetter Sat 21-Dec-13 21:45:02

Naice wine and naice choccy biscuits for her kids smile

WaxyBean Tue 24-Dec-13 19:53:10

Mine is worth her weight in gold - so £50 voucher, personalised bottle of perfume and naice tin of biscuits for her family. She has just told me that she has a family member in hospital and so can't have my boys on Friday (was going to go shopping without them as not working that day!) so have also decided that I'll pay her for that day regardless!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now