This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How am I going to find a childminder in 6 weeks?

(15 Posts)
anothernamechangerreally Mon 18-Nov-13 13:56:37

Childminder has given me notice today. I need to find someone else ASAP but everyone I have called has no vacancies or poor ofsted reports sad

Before I went back to work I started looking for childcare about 5 months before I went back - this makes 6 weeks sound like no time at all!

Also, I have 2 children and need the older one picking up and dropping off from school, which limits my options. Really not sure if I am going to find someone in time. sad

Chopsypie Mon 18-Nov-13 14:01:19

Contact your council.

Mine have a families information service and they contact childminders for you to ask if they have space and will even narrow it down to which ones pick up from certain schools.

Can you ask your old cm for a recommendation? They often have a network of cm friends

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 18-Nov-13 14:15:01

Why did she give your notice?

Can cm recommend anyone?

Can you ask at school if any cm there and if spaces?

As you have 2 kids have you looked at a nanny? Yes more exp then using a cm - but with 2 kids it evens out a bit more - And a nwoc will reduce the cost a bit as well

Plus THe nanny will deal with kids washing and meals as a bare minimum and you only need to get yourself ready compare to getting 2 kids up and dressed and drop off all before you then go to work

Maryann1975 Mon 18-Nov-13 14:28:11

Ofsted reports aren't everything. Could you visit the ones who have spaces and see what you think of them when you meet them. Sometimes the ofsted report isn't always a true picture. Inspections can be very stressful, the cm may not have been at her best due to the inspection. They may have marked her down on paperwork but she could be amazing with the children and I know what I'd prefer in a cm and it isn't the realms of paperwork ofsted like to see.

itshowwedo Mon 18-Nov-13 14:31:13

I asked at the school office - have you tried that? If you could find a place for the elder one, would you consider a nursery for the little one? It's what I do it works fine.
V

anothernamechangerreally Mon 18-Nov-13 14:44:33

Thanks all.

I asked if she could recommend but she has said she doesn't really know any other childminders.

I love a nanny, but unfortunately we don't have a spare room and I only work part time so don't think it would work.

She said that she is finding bit hard managing with all the children so I think it's a case of first in, last out. sad

I have emailed the council service , thanks for that suggestion!

I just really want someone reliable who they can go to for years to come. Don't want to get shafted along again!!!

anothernamechangerreally Mon 18-Nov-13 14:44:33

Thanks all.

I asked if she could recommend but she has said she doesn't really know any other childminders.

I'd love a nanny, but unfortunately we don't have a spare room and I only work part time so don't think it would work.

She said that she is finding bit hard managing with all the children so I think it's a case of first in, last out. sad

I have emailed the council service , thanks for that suggestion!

I just really want someone reliable who they can go to for years to come. Don't want to get shafted along again!!!

anothernamechangerreally Mon 18-Nov-13 14:45:45

Yes had considered nursery plus after school care, but I really would like then to be together really. Also it makes it easier having just one drop off and pick up. It is something to think about though.

busyDays Mon 18-Nov-13 14:52:00

I agree with Maryann, I would not read too much into the Ofsted reports but rather go and visit and judge for yourself. Ofsted can grade childminders down for quite small paperwork related things. Also, some inspectors are known to give the lowest grade by default to all childminders at their first inspection. I actually think that 6 weeks is a reasonable amount of time, considering that most childminders have a 4 week notice period. It will be worth calling them again in a few weeks as many won't know 6 weeks in advance that a child is leaving. Could you put your older dc in an after school club during term time and youngest with a childminder, then have both dc with the childminder during school hols? That would give you a much bigger group of childminders to choose from.

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 18-Nov-13 14:53:55

Nannies don't have to be live in - tho that's cheaper and again there are nannies like me who like working part time

May be worth looking at figures and advertising if you can't find a cm

Runoutofideas Mon 18-Nov-13 16:45:55

One of the families I work with uses a childminder for the school day, then an afterschool nanny who collects the youngest from the childminder and the oldest from school then takes them back to the children's house for tea etc. This was because the childminder only had space for one child in the daytime. Could be an option?

Twinklestarstwinklestars Mon 18-Nov-13 17:59:09

Definitely don't judge on ofsted, they could be rubbish at paperwork and brilliant with kids. Ofsted see a few hours every few years.

HSMMaCM Mon 18-Nov-13 18:27:05

Read the Ofsted reports and then go and judge for yourself.

NomDeClavier Mon 18-Nov-13 18:46:35

A nanny can work PT and as blondes said a nanny with their own child will be cheaper and reduce the load on you.

OFSTED isn't everything but do look at the weaknesses the reports are pointing out. I would be happy with a CM that OFSTED rate poorly on grounds that they don't complete enough paperwork/documentary evidence but wouldn't with someone that OFSTED don't consider to be providing activities or who had actions on safety.

Does anyone else at school or locally that you know have a nanny, and might they consider a nanny share?
Ask on MN local?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now