Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Is it ok to childminding when taking antidepressents?

(8 Posts)
CrazyBabies Mon 18-Nov-13 12:10:29

Just a thought! Dad died a few months ago and on a small dosage. Been feeling fine after the initial week of ups and downs.
My question is , is there any where it says you shouldn't.

My other thread is about a claim I am making to care to learn, and worried if I mention I am taking them.

Catswiththumbs Mon 18-Nov-13 12:17:39

You wouldn't think twice if you were taking painkillers for a headache or antibiotics for an infection.
It's really no different IMO and shouldn't affect your claim/employment.

Brandnewmamma Mon 18-Nov-13 12:20:15

Of course you can. Don't be hard on yourself. It is hard losing someone so important in your life. I think keeping busy will help you and children can life your spirits a lot.

Take care of yourself.

Saltire Mon 18-Nov-13 14:00:15

If it's any help, when i re-did my medical declaration for childminding, not only was it mentioned that I had suffered previously with PND, it also said that I currently take ADs and have Fibromyalgia.
it made no difference to my registration. The doc said on the form that the ADs were taken in conjunction with the fibro etc.

CrazyBabies Thu 21-Nov-13 20:48:19

Thank you all for your kind and positive replies thanks

nocheeseinhouse Fri 22-Nov-13 19:30:35

Much better a childminder on antidepressants than a dangerously depressed/suicidal childminder who's trying to hide it! You know if you're well enough to work. If you're too unwell to work, though, do be honest, you may need some time to be kind to yourself, and put yourself first. Being on treatment is responsible, and not a concern. Take care of yourself, though, childminding is demanding.

OldDaddy Mon 25-Nov-13 15:17:29

having personally experienced depression and how anti depressants can assist get you back on track please do not feel that doing so would make you any less of an suitable employee. As nocheesinhouse said being on treatment is showing you are taking responsibility for your issues. Good luck.

kaffkooks Wed 27-Nov-13 12:05:50

My childminders is on anti depressants (she's a friend, that's why I know) and my ds gets great care. There are people working in all sorts of jobs (doctors, politicians, teachers,....) who have more severe mental health problems. The most important thing is being able to identify when you are not coping with your illness and take appropriate action.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now