Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

advice on childcare please

(3 Posts)
MunchkinJess Sun 17-Nov-13 21:40:52

My first baby is only 5 weeks old ( I know its a bit soon to be asking this question).

I am after some info as a first time mum wink we are moving to a new area in january and I will be returning to work when our daughter is approximately 6to 7 months old. so around April/may time next year.

my partner works shift work so does two days 12 hours and then two nights shifts.

as we are moving to a new area when is the best time to look into childcare? we would need care for two days from around 8 to 6 then followed by two half. days.

would a childminder be the best option? and are they expensive?

We had originally thought my mum could help out but seeing how overpowering she has become since our baby was born. ..it is defo not an option as she will completely disregard us as parents and do her own thing thinking her way is best and we have no clue what we are doing envy

Jiltedjohnsjulie Sun 17-Nov-13 23:40:47

So sorry that things aren't working out the way you have planned with your mum.

I'd ask on Mn local for recommendations on local childcare or just google childminders and nurseries in your new area then go along and visit a few and see what you think. Lots of good ones may have a waiting list so its probably best to start looking into soon rather than waiting and realising that you are going to work in a month and nothing is sorted. Time flies with a baby in your life smile

PhoebeMcPeePee Mon 18-Nov-13 00:01:32

Whether you want a cm or nursery is very much personal opinion although on this forum you are more likely to hear votes for cm (& personally I would go for cm over nursery anyway but especially for a baby).

I would get settled into your new area, go to toddler groups etc and try to get personal recommendations where possible and start making enquiries ASAP in the new Year. Don't be surprised if you're either told it's too early to commit or if you do find someone you like you may be asked to pay a deposit or retainer (% of fee) to hold the place. Good luck & I hope you find someone lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now