Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Christmas presents for charges

(10 Posts)
Turnedouttoes Sun 17-Nov-13 21:09:23

Just wondering what nannies do about giving Christmas presents for charges. I always buy something small e.g. a sticker book for £5 or less for birthdays but just wondering what people do about Christmas??

NannyWaines13 Sun 17-Nov-13 21:52:25

This is my first Christmas as a Nanny so not really sure on the "done thing" but I've put together a photobook of our summer. I started working in July so it's a book of our first 2 months together, we had a great summer "Gromit Hunting" and I took loads of photos so thought this would be a nice memento for my charges aged 4 & almost 2. smile

Maryann1975 Sun 17-Nov-13 21:56:44

When i was a nanny, I used to buy a gift, normally something I thought was lacking from what was already there, eg painting stuff or other craft materials. Gave me something to do for the next few days I was working. I'm a cm now and buy a token gift for the children in my care. However this can get expensive if you have lots of part time children so I feel quite lucky to just have full timers this year.

lovelynannytobe Sun 17-Nov-13 22:11:00

I always buy books. I love Jonny Duddle pirate set on the Book People. They also do other lovely sets for younger children and older ones as well. I always manage to find something cheap and lovely there.

I knit dinosaurs for them. The kids tell me what dinosaur they'd like this time and I do it smile currently finishing a pink triceratops for one of my charges birthdays smile

MaryPoppinsBag Mon 18-Nov-13 09:18:54

I'm a CM and take advantage of the 3 for 2 at boots. I tag them on to my other shopping so barely notice the cost.

HaveAQuestion Mon 18-Nov-13 11:18:23

Small amount of money on a book or educational toy

smilingthroughgrittedteeth Mon 18-Nov-13 14:12:31

I've spent about £10 on each of my charges (2 of them) I've been with them for 5 years though I used to spend £5 max.

surpriseme Mon 18-Nov-13 20:31:26

I love buying kids presents and have gone overboard in the past spending anything between 30-50.Soon mounts up. This year I am trying to keep it to 10-20 for each child(2 in my current position and 3 from my last one)

cathpip Mon 18-Nov-13 20:38:54

I have nannied for the same family for 8 years, (only a couple of days a week in the holiday now). I used to buy them a joint present, usually a board game which always went down well. Now they have cash so they can top up their mobiles! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now