Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

CM - what do you do with the children before & after school

(7 Posts)
Coveredinweetabix Sun 17-Nov-13 11:23:31

I live in a big village with a primary school with no wrap around care. There used to be two cm in the village but one has just moved & one is retiring at the end of the school year. DD starts school in Sept and I am really struggling to figure out what out child are options will be (on the two days I work, DP & I are both out from 7-7). So, the idea has crossed my mind of giving up my current job & becoming a CM, primarily for before/after school children and, presumably, school holidays too. But what would I do with the children?
Realistically, I think I'd have to be open from 7.30 to give parents a chance to get to work themselves. School starts at 8.45 and it would be a 15 min walk so I'd probably want to be getting them ready from 8.15 to leave so that's just a 45min window for breakfasts and then colouring, Lego etc.
School finishes by 3 and I'd have to be open until 6, if not 6.30. Obviously they'd have to have tea and presumably some of them would have homework to be supervised. What activities do you organise?
A couple of other logistical questions, do any of you work part time? I imagine DD would like one day a week when it was just her. What do you do about after school clubs? Or do your mindees just not do them?
If you just have school aged children, is there much paperwork? Does the EYFS stuff still apply?

HSMMaCM Sun 17-Nov-13 15:59:02

Let them have breakfast and dinner at home. Offer an after school snack. They will come and go at different times, so activities they can do bits of like Lego are great. Is there a park you can go to on the way home?

If you're going to do it, start the process now, because it can take a long time.

Are you thinking of charging a set fee for before and after school, so you don't end up getting paid for 5 mins in the morning and half an hour in the afternoon?

Maryann1975 Sun 17-Nov-13 22:06:44

The eyfs still applies to reception aged children. I found the short time I had a reception child to be too short to get anything productive done, by the time I got back from school, snack, cooked tea, eaten tea, it was time for him to go home.
I have babies up to key stage 2children and In the morning the children generally play or occasionally have tv on. I don't offer any other activities, there isn't time and I'm busy trying to get packed lunches done/brush everyone's hair. After school I will get colouring stuff out, a glueing activity, help with tea, tv/DVD, outside play. It's more the children entertaining each other, rather than me entertaining them, but they prefer it that way at the moment.
After school clubs are a nightmare tbh. I get in from main school run and have to go out again almost straight away for school clubs some days. If its my own dc I try to get someone to drop them off for me. I schedule swimming lessons etc for my day off.

ManAboutTheHouse Mon 18-Nov-13 09:07:59

I would advise against supervising the homework for the after-schoolers.

This isn't your responsibility at all, & once you start, the expectations of the children's parents will increase for you to continue.

Keeping them warm, happy, fed occupied with the activities other posters have mentioned, is sufficient.

Coveredinweetabix Mon 18-Nov-13 21:22:25

That sounds do-able. I was worried I'd have to do really structured activities and couldn't work out how to fit that in.
Yes, there's a park between school & home and we have an OK size garden.
Yes, I would charge a set fee as otherwise I could see it being more hassle than its worth. I was thinking a min of 1hr in the morning and 2.5 after school.
Off to check my calculations and look into courses....

updownallaround Wed 20-Nov-13 13:13:15

I look after dc after school along with my own who are 6 and 9. I also aften have a few 3 year olds in the mix who are siblings of the school aged dc. They do play together a lot. Playing outside whenever possible, Hama beads, painting (I have just bought some palates of paint which is a bit less messy. Sometimes (rarely) they watch a dvd, playdough etc.
I have recently felt though that it is a bit much for my 6 year old sometimes as she rarely stops when the dc are here. I suppose it's good in that she enjoys it, but she is tired. Also, it is hard to fit in things like reading and homework with your own dc and I do feel a bit guilty about that.
Think really carefully about dynamics as it is a nightmare when they don't get on. Agree a trial period so you can back out if needs be as there is nothing worse than your own dc being upset in their own home by another dc being mean frequently.

MortifiedAnyFuckerAdams Wed 20-Nov-13 13:18:15

It is possible for you to charge a 'retainer' for school hours if the parent want you as a contact incase their child gets ill - mine does this if needed. In cases where the parent has a job such as teaching or surgeon or whatever, they possibly cannot leave in the middle of the working day. You could, therefore, offer an on call rate for school hours, daily, but would of cpurse need to be contactable and be able to get to the student asap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now