This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Christmas present for cm?

(13 Posts)
uhOhOhDear Sat 16-Nov-13 20:03:37

Hi, I have a lovely cm whom my dd adores, she is wonderful :-) I'm not sure what to get her for Xmas, this is the first Xmas since dd started (last Jan).

I thought maybe a £25 voucher? And same for her assistant? Or is this not the done thing? She works really hard and is great with dd so I'd like to thank her.

ReetPetit Sat 16-Nov-13 20:37:40

a voucher is nice,if you know what shops she likes....

what kind of thing does she have in her home? Plants, ornaments? take your cue from that if you want to give her a present.

The nicest presents I've had have been cash bonuses tbh, might sound a bit mercenary but cm is not the best paid job in the world and a bonus is always appreciated (have usually been given an extra weeks wages) plus a nice card smile

TallulahPumpkin Sat 16-Nov-13 20:44:46

I'm glad you asked this, I need to know the same thing. Last year ds had only been there a few months so did the boring thing of chocs and wine but feel I should do a bit more this year. Will get ds to make a card for her and assistant but he's not old enough this year to make anything else.

NickNacks Sat 16-Nov-13 20:47:37

A lovely gushing card to say how great she is and how much you appreciate her.

No photos of dc. Lovely as they are, we have thousands already. smile

Maryann1975 Sat 16-Nov-13 21:00:22

Reetpetit, wow you are really lucky to normally get a weeks wages! I've never been given a voucher or cash, (which would be my present of choice). Normally toiletries or chocolates or biscuits. I'm generally happiest with edible presents or a bottle of my favourite drink, but that's just me. One of my nanny families years ago used to give me ornaments, they were always beautiful (and costly) and I still display them in my lounge 10 years later.
And I agree, definitely no photos!

The nicest present I received last year was a tea pot, some nice loose leaf tea and an insulated mug. I get to drink hot tea now smile

Also appreciate nice things to eat and things the kids have made, particularly a nice card.

HSMMaCM Sat 16-Nov-13 21:12:23

The insulated mug sounds like a great idea grin

ReetPetit Sat 16-Nov-13 21:12:59

i have been lucky - i have had a couple of generous families who have given me a weeks wages as a bonus which has been much appreciated!

have also had some who have given nothing - not even a card hmm

i would agree with nothing with your child's picture on it! and would personally avoid foody stuff - poor teachers normally end up with boxes upon boxes of chocs which they then share out in the staff room! wouldn't advise alcohol either unless you know they like a drink!

busyDays Sun 17-Nov-13 19:40:19

I would also like the nice gushing card! I have never received a bonus or any type of monetary gift and really wouldn't expect it. Many parents don't give a gift at all, especially the first Christmas. Others have given pretty stationary, chocolates and inexpensive jewellery. To be honest the nicest present was probably a book for each of my children as it was lovely for them to get a little thank you for welcoming the mindee into their homesmile

fuckwittery Sun 17-Nov-13 19:44:48

I get a love2shop voucher for mine so she can spend it anywhere and flowers or nice wine.

fuckwittery Sun 17-Nov-13 19:46:39

Oh and I usually spend about 50 quid on the voucher, so similar to you if you are spending 25 on CM and assistant, I get the impression my CM thinks this is generous but I really like to show my appreciation for everything she does for my DC over the year, and how hard she works.

MaryPoppinsBag Mon 18-Nov-13 09:22:52

The voucher sounds great OP. I would love that.

do not get her a box of Aldi liqueurs and a tacky B&M wicker heart

HSMMaCM Mon 18-Nov-13 09:40:49

I am happy with nothing, very happy with a gift for DD and sad when I am given beautiful flowers, because they set off DH's hay fever and I have to put them outside in the cold.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now