Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Nanny's salary

(6 Posts)
NomDeClavier Fri 15-Nov-13 18:54:44

It totally depends what language you want. If it's an in demand one - Mandarin yes, but also French, Italian, German and Russian - then you might expect to pay a bit of a premium.

Area and experience affect wages significantly but always agree gross or you're writing a blank cheque.

Karoleann Fri 15-Nov-13 18:08:43

Forgot to mention, you can gross up a net on mr anchovy's calculator.

Karoleann Fri 15-Nov-13 18:08:08

Anna - where do you live? If its London and a full time post, I would advertise at the monthly gross equivalent of £9/hour net. But if you want a specific language, you may need to pay £10, mandarin speaking nannies often charge a lot more.

If its outside London you can pay less.

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 15-Nov-13 17:54:20

agree gross and wage depends on area/exp but tbh i wouldnt expect a nanny with 3/4yrs exp to want that, or they want it, but wont get it grin

i would say more £10gross for that amount of ex, as i know nannies who are in their 30/40's who earn £10 nett about £13gross and they have 15/20years exp

work out what salary you can afford and go from there and advertise either on nannyjob/netmums or go through agencies

PenguinsDontEatPancakes Fri 15-Nov-13 17:21:47

I don't know the going rate for live in and it will depend on your area. But please agree a gross wage and not a net one.

AnnaHarris138 Fri 15-Nov-13 17:20:10

Hello guys, I am currently looking for a full - time live out nanny for my 6 month old baby boy and my 3 year old daughter and I need some advise. I have been working from home for the last two years. We had an au pair for 9 months ( it did not work very well for us), however we have never hired a professional nanny for our little ones and we are a bit lost when it comes to the salary . Is £10 net per hour the minimum wage we should pay for someone with at least 3 - 4 years of experience in childcare? would a bilingual nanny charge more than this?

Thank you very much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now