Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Aupair question

(16 Posts)
JessMcL Wed 13-Nov-13 22:33:57

We are moving to London next June and honestly we will probably need my income as our living expenses are obviously going to increase.

We are discussing the possibility of getting an Aupair because pretty much what I will get as a Teacher will be spent on childminding fees.

My question is- would you trust an Aupair to look after a 3 year old girl alone? We will be taking advantage of the free fifteen hours but the rest of the time she will need care.

Would appreciate any opinions...

OutragedFromLeeds Wed 13-Nov-13 22:41:42

An au pair would normally work about 25 hours a week, so it's longish hours and a lot of childcare, but probably ok for an au pair plus/experienced au pair.

What hours would you need?

To be honest, I wouldn't leave a 3 yo with an AP for that length of time. We have had APs since DSs were 1 and 3, and we had ft nursery, using the AP to take to and from nursery, with occasional days of full care.

The other thing to consider us whether you will have space for an AP in new house.

Not a question of trust with a good AP, but I think you need more than babysitting and v difficult to ensure that AP fulfils that.

ceeveebee Wed 13-Nov-13 22:56:48

I would think that would be too much for an au pair. What you are asking is for preschool drop off, collecting presumably 3 hours later then sole care until you get home from work, so probably 30 hours plus a week- that would be a nanny position I think.

Btw in London I have never come across a nursery that offers 15 free hours - they usually deduct it 15 x £3.50 from their fees and you pay the balance - most of the preschool/nurseries near me charge about £7.50 per hour so I would have to pay £4 per hour. You may have found somewhere with a different policy though

Katiejon Wed 13-Nov-13 23:10:24

I have an aupair plus in London doing 35 hours a week for £100 per week.
She's supposed to play with and feed 5 year old DD but not a brilliant match as dd outgoing and aupair more reserved.
I trust her but simply not a good personality match.
You cant ascertain personality until she is in your house.
I would say nanny in your home and cleaner once a week.
Ask nanny to hang up the washing and empty dishwasher.
Put washing in before u go 2 school.
Nanny will keep child's room clean.
Good luck with move.

JessMcL Wed 13-Nov-13 23:13:21

Ceeveebee- I wasn't aware of that so thank you. We don't live anywhere near London at moment and i'm basing all this of assumption at the moment. I've never done this before if i'm honest so i'm really not sure how it works.

Maybe if I look into putting her into full days twice a week and then mornings the other three days? I know the nursery near me is 8-6 so I assume their morning is 8-1 and then afternoons 1-6. Or is that not how it works? I will be working as a teacher so will be home 4/4.30 apart from the odd day for meetings etc. If she was in nursery full time 2 days and say until 1 on 3 days there will only be about 15 hours childcare.

OutragedFromLeeds Wed 13-Nov-13 23:17:08

Will she be old enough for school nursery? If she's 3 in June, then she'll be starting school nursery in September, which will be free.

If not have a look at pre-schools instead of day nurseries if you want your free 15 hours. You'll still have to pay some on top probably, but it'll be a much smaller amount.

Squiffyagain Wed 13-Nov-13 23:18:21

That proposal sounds better.

Katiejon Wed 13-Nov-13 23:23:37

Do you have a nursery place or school place?

ceeveebee Wed 13-Nov-13 23:56:11

I don't know how morning / afternoon sessions split but day nurseries would be between £60-£80 per day depending where in London.

School nurseries and preschools are usually just mornings or afternoon sessions I think, not all day, although some do offer all day with breakfast club and wraparound care. You would have to apply now for Spetember 2014 school nursery places, and as these are free they are usually massively oversubscribed. Private preschools normally have a list from birth or 12 months. But you may be lucky, depends where in London you are moving to.

Childcare in London is cripplingly expensive. And I have 2yo twins so its doubly so, hence one of the reasons we decided on a nanny!

OutragedFromLeeds Thu 14-Nov-13 00:14:15

Whereabouts in London do you live ceevee?! I'm in West London and there are pretty much enough school nursery places to go round. Pre-school have a 6 months- 1 year wait. If the OP puts her name down now she should get a place for next September.

School will be more difficult because she can't apply until she's in the catchment, but a lot of people don't take nursery places so it's easier to get in than it is for reception.

A fair number of people use pre-school and school nursery (one for the morning and one for the afternoon). That could work with an au pair, but possibly quite expensive.

I'd maybe look into a nanny share OP.

ceeveebee Thu 14-Nov-13 06:57:34

Outraged - we're in SW London ( Richmond) - we're told to register for state nursery places at age 2 and all three of the nurseries within reasonable distance of my house are oversubscribed. Private preschools ask you to register at birth, but you're right, they do have spaces but funding only covers 1/2 the cost!

threeisatragicnumber Thu 14-Nov-13 10:13:38

I think a school nursery would be a good option. AP can drop off child for e.g. morning, then collect at lunch and look after until you get home at 4/4.30. Does DD still nap?

Nursery sessions are normally 9 - 12 then 12.30 - 3.30 so she would be doing, say, 1 hour in the morning (8 - 9) then 4/4.5 hours in the afternoon (12 - 4/4.30) = 25/30 hours a week.

I would be looking for an au pair plus - slightly more hours (30 - 35), possibly more experience. Pay in London c. £100 a week (plus usual things like food, travel, possibly gym membership etc?). Nursery would be free though.

I think a 3 year old is fine - one of my kids is almost 3, and he is with our au pair all day on one day of the week after the others have been dropped at school. They have a fab time at playgroup etc.

Also, it sounds like your AP would get lots of holidays (all school holidays?) so a good deal in that respect (although bear in mind you will still need to pay her).

I'd ring round your nurseries in your local area and see what their opinion is on you getting a place for next Sept.

Good luck!

JessMcL Thu 14-Nov-13 21:58:34

Thank you for all the help everyone.

Will look into putting her in for mornings and possibly one full day a week- we should be able to afford it more or less as my salary will be higher than it was when I was working here with it being in London.

Ninny8 Thu 14-Nov-13 23:11:58

Hi there,

You may well be able to find someone older/more responsible who is willing to work as an au pair. When I decided I wanted to be a nanny, I spent a year au pairing, doing 30 hours + because it gave me the experience I needed to secure a full time nanny job. I am sure you will find many people who are very serious about childcare who will be willing to take an au pair job for the experience and convenient accommodation. Why not specify in your advert that it would be an ideal position for someone interested in pursuing a career in childcare because with a good reference from you at the end, it could be a good mutual arrangement.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now