This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Is it possible? Nanny fired because of a disagreement between family and her agency?

(9 Posts)
SweetSkull Wed 13-Nov-13 16:06:41

1st of all it's none if my business but I'm curious.
A friend was telling me how her friend got fired from her nanny position because apparently there was some sort of problem between the agency and the family.
Person was looking after a 8 month old baby
Don't know anymore details....
Does it sound real?

tablefor4 Wed 13-Nov-13 16:29:46

Possible if family didn't pay agency fee I suspose. A little unlikely though.

2plus1 Wed 13-Nov-13 17:04:30

Yes it could happen. For example we had a nanny who was supposed to have excellent references etc so we offered the job based on this. Turned out agency did not have last refs as there were issues between last employer, agency and nanny's capabilites. Therefore we could dismiss the nanny and dispute agency fees etc. Not suggesting this was the case with friend though.

NomDeClavier Wed 13-Nov-13 18:53:36

Possible, yes, but if the family were employing them and they were the ones doing the firing then there was probably issue with the nanny that the agency didn't tell the family about. Hence family and agency having a dispute.

Unless the family couldn't pay the fees for sourcing the nanny and the t&cs of the contract meant family had to let nanny go?

nannynick Wed 13-Nov-13 20:10:37

Maybe the agency told the family something about the nanny which turned out to be untrue, which did not come to light until after the nanny had started work.

Hard to know if real or not... 'got fired' - do they mean for gross misconduct, or were they paid in lieu of notice, or worked the notice period? Without knowing more details it's hard to know and as it's a friend of a friend you probably won't get told any details.

OutragedFromLeeds Wed 13-Nov-13 20:20:28

I don't about 'fired', but let go during the notice period is quite possible I would think.

I've heard of things like agency say nanny can drive, family don't bother to ask the nanny, nanny starts, all well for three weeks and then they need her to drive somewhere and she can't drive!

Some agencies are terrible and some families miss very obvious questions.

SweetSkull Wed 13-Nov-13 21:14:49

Huuum I see.
I did not know agencies were so irresponsible and untrustworthy like this.

They can be because at the end of the day they want their fee. I left an agency interview once and drove hald am good or so before forgetting something so drove back to get it. Caught the agency woman in the middle of talking to one of the families I wanted a job with telling them that I'd been driving for years and had driven kids around before so don't worry about your child who hates cars, she's used to it. At that point I had only had a car for a few months and had never driven with children, she was definitely talking about me too!

The agency I'm with now seem very thorough, but they are the only agency in a large area that really had nannies and families on their books as the other two major ones had big issues fairly recently so people don't trust them, so my agency don't really need to lie as they have loads of nannies to put forward.

Half an hour or so, not hald am good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now