This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

have you ever reported a childminder to ofsted/been reported yourself?

(9 Posts)
suziesmummy Tue 12-Nov-13 11:51:52

Childminder has always been a bit crap (thread under a different name of me having to pay her when her DC was ill a few weeks ago).

There was a stand out incident last week that made me take my DD out of her care. I want to report her to Ofsted as its something id want other parents to know. But is it a massive procedure? Will any of her prospective parents be able to see what I've written?

HSMMaCM Tue 12-Nov-13 12:25:21

You should be able to complain in confidence and it can be anonymous or an email or whatever you want.

givemushypeasachance Tue 12-Nov-13 12:50:09

If you complain to Ofsted then they will take a look at what you've alleged is happening and do a 'risk assessment' to see whether it suggests your childminder isn't meeting the legal requirements or is behaving unsuitably. If it's very minor things they may just write to her to say we've been told XYZ is happening please look into this and we'll follow it up at your next inspection. If it's more serious then they would bring forward her inspection and go out in the next few weeks or days and do a 'complaint led inspection' - a full visit but with a particular focus on the areas of concern. If they find she's not been meeting the requirements this would be picked up in the published inspection report but the text of your actual complaint won't appear anywhere - otherwise people could make all sorts of groundless accusations against anyone for malicious reasons. Information only gets published if concerns are proven and enforcement action taken.

And you can contact Ofsted with concerns either online through a form, by email, by telephone, by letter - just provide the person's name and registration details and then a summary of your concerns. Ofsted has no legal power to investigate contractual matters though; it has to actually be about the EYFS requirements or unsuitable behaviour.

MaryPoppinsBag Tue 12-Nov-13 13:02:43

It's not a massive procedure for you, you just ring up Ofsted. It is however, a massive procedure for her if they come out.

What is she accused of?

suziesmummy Tue 12-Nov-13 14:12:21

She isn't accused of anything, she neglected my child MaryPoppins. I found my DD in her neighbours front garden when I went to pick her up. Put DD in my car and knocked on the front door as though nothing was wrong. Minder went to find her and said my dd was playing in the garden. She came back panicked and i said i had her, apparently shr had got out round the side gate while minder was in the toilet. My DD is 2.

She could of been hit by a car or abducted. The minder has 3 under 3 plus others after school when her older daughter is home. I want all the parents to know what happened, so wanted a way of other finding out. I don't think this is a case of she needs a new gate, more of a reassment of her ability to look after children altogether.

MaryPoppinsBag Tue 12-Nov-13 14:32:59

So it is neglect. Just report her.
Any complaints if upheld are reported under a providers name on the Ofsted website. So parents would find out that way. Also if she is shut down they would obviously know.

MaryPoppinsBag Tue 12-Nov-13 14:42:46

I can't understand why you've waited so long and why you need to post on here. shock get Ofsted phoned up 03001231231.

PhoebeMcPeePee Tue 12-Nov-13 14:50:18

Wow that's serious neglect shock definitely needs reporting that is awful regardless of how wonderful or otherwise she's been until that incident.

Forresitters Wed 13-Nov-13 02:00:27

This is a serious safeguarding issue and you can complain to the childminder directly as she should have a complaints policy and procedure which is available for all parents and Ofsted to see. You can also contact the Local Authority as this CM should have a Development Worker/Childcare Team Co-ordinator who will assist you with this and they will also contact Ofsted to report her.
She obviously does not do any risk assessments and this is breaching her childminding conditions.

Thank goodness you arrived when you did and you have done the right thing in removing your dd from her care.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now