This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Would you use an 'Emergency Nanny'?

(25 Posts)
vix1 Sun 09-Jul-06 20:38:07

Would you use a Emergency Nanny? If for instance you had a child who was slightly ill, not aloud to go to nursery, or you suddenly have to be called into work etc. would you like to have numbers of an agency that supply emergency nannies? Or even numbers of Nannies that are available for emergency cover? And how much an hour would you pay for one?

Ladymuck Sun 09-Jul-06 20:41:31

I do. The rate I have been charged varies, depending on the agency and the length of notice. Hourly rate of £8-£10 gross is common (HMRC do not view a one day nanny as an employee!) with an agency fee of £10-£20 on top.

Life saver, though I've tended to use them when I am ill, (so am in the house). Not sure about using them if I had to leave the house, but I still have a preschooler.

vix1 Sun 09-Jul-06 20:46:51

I know, am thinking about doing Emergency Nannying on the 2 days that I dont work. But apparantly a payroll firm I spoke too said that a Nanny can't be self-employed, so Im not sure how I would work that if I did it myself, but I suppose if I join an agency they will employ me and pay tax etc. I also think its very unfair that I have to pay 22% tax on my second jobs wage aswell as paying normal tax on first wage!

jura Sun 09-Jul-06 20:54:44

I've used temporary nannies before, and I would use an emergency nanny if mine were incapacitated and I absolutely had to be somewhere else. Fortunately, I've never had this situation arise, if nanny has been ill, for example, dh or I have been able to cover.

Vix, I'm not sure I understand...Why is it unfair that you pay tax on the second income?

vix1 Sun 09-Jul-06 21:04:25

I mean that I dont mind paying tax on it, but I think it should be at the normal rate as everyone else,or what I would if I had a full time job. Basically just becuase I have 2 part-time jobs I have to pay more tax, Im not earning any more than what I would be if I was working full-time in one job. Hope that makes sense! Basically I was looking into working in a Nursery and I would have had to have paid 22% tax and then n.i out of that wage. Basically I would have got £35 for 9 hours work!

Ladymuck Sun 09-Jul-06 21:06:12

vix1, if you are working for a lot of different families on an irregular basis then you are more likely to be self-employed to be honest. Of course a payroll firm will wish to tell you otherwise (as a self-employed person you would not need their services).
The Inland Revenue (or HMRC as they're now known) are fairly pragmatic, and they would appreciate that you couldn't expect to have 100 odd employers each year all filing paperwork etc.
Of course if your nannying stints ended up being for weeks or months for the same employer, then you are likely to step across the line and be treated as an employee (though again it depends on the precise circumstances).

Although not subject to PAYE you would still have to pay tax on the income by declaring it (net of expenses) on a tax return.

Katymac Sun 09-Jul-06 21:06:39

You don't - you just phone the tax office and split your tax allowance

NappiesGalore Sun 09-Jul-06 21:09:36

crikey yes!

id pay more than the going rate fora 'normal' nanny through necessity.

do you think i could get 2? one for the kids and one to take care of me??!

vix1 Sun 09-Jul-06 21:11:55

Its all a bit complicated really as the family I work for 3 days a week have already sorted out tax etc. so I dont think it would be fair on them as they would have to pay more tax then they first thought. And if I were to be self-employed for temping and emergency cover, then I think I would have to go self-employed for my other job! I think it is prob. easier to join an agency and let them sort out tax!

Katymac Sun 09-Jul-06 21:13:47

Your tax averages out over the year - so you will pay the same amount however it is broken up

vix1 Sun 09-Jul-06 21:32:59

Im not very good with all the tax rules, so will leave it to the agencies and people who know what they are doing!

vix1 Sun 09-Jul-06 21:33:25

Im not very good with all the tax rules, so will leave it to the agencies and people who know what they are doing!

Uwila Mon 10-Jul-06 10:08:04

Perhaps you could offer for your employer to change your contract to gross (adjust the hourly rate up to equal your current nett rate). Then the amount they pay you won't be affected. You'll end up paying the same tax. It doesn't really matter which cheque it comes from, does it?

alexh Mon 10-Jul-06 10:50:40

For future reference, does anyone have a good agency they use for London based Temp/emergency nannies?

jules1972 Fri 04-Aug-06 17:38:34

I work as an ad - hoc/ emergency nanny in Croydon. I charge £7 per hour.

Saida8 Mon 10-Feb-14 08:16:12

I used an agency for the temp and emergencies cover. I phoned an agency and within 2 hours nanny arrived on my door step. I paid agency for the nanny service and agency fees, hence no worries about tax and NI.

apotomak Mon 10-Feb-14 08:41:02

Saida8 this thread is 7! years old.

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 10-Feb-14 13:46:26

lol at 7years old but you never know someone may need the info

i am a temp/emergency nanny and i work through agencies local to me, as well as tinies and my family care which is emergency childcare paid vai employers companies - they pay for the nanny so that their employers dont take time off

rates vary from 10/15gross and im self employed

SarahPatricia Tue 18-Feb-14 23:15:34

Hello
I work as an emergency nanny for terminally ill children, premature single and multiple babies as well as babies on oxygen and or other life monitoring/supporting machines. i charge £20 gross an hour (and am always busy).
Every situation is different. You can find some people working for a very little amount but mostly they are un qualified and un able to find permanent jobs. Be careful as some agencies take any girl, others are more selective.
Emergency nannies are great back up but you need to vet them thoroughly.

Sourpickles Wed 19-Feb-14 08:18:21

@sarah id love to know how you got into that area/speciality?

Did you undergo any other training ?

SarahPatricia Wed 19-Feb-14 08:45:08

I started nannying for s "normal"family, then the mum have birth to child number 3 st 22 Weeks. It was ask very scary and stressful so I kind of just took over when everyone else was falling apart. It was noticed at the hospital (John Radcliffe) . When the baby had been home for 4 months the mum decided there was no way she was going back to work so we ended our contract. (I still see the family every weeksmile ). I phoned the hospital to ask about qualifications and the recommended s.maternity nursing one. Then they phoned me the next day to say s family needed me asap as their prem baby was going home but had lots of problems and they were terrified. The hospital was s bit worried over the mums mental health from all the stress and hormonal changes. SoI called them, met then st the hosp an hour later and went home with them for a few Weeks (also see this family oftensmile ). I've never had time to do another qualification (i'm already a nursery nurse) as families have always needed me and I can't bring myself to turn any away.
The reality is in some jobs all I do I race to the house to take down baby items and "welcome home" banners after a loss and it breaks my heart. Sometimes I work with s family while the baby is still in hospital, giving support and helping them understand what the doctors say (my boyfriend is a medical so he helps me with that part) then I continue to help when (/if) the baby comes home. Some patents think they can manage alone but when they realise they'll be home without any medical people to turn to for advice they panic and I go in.
I've never had a normal interview! Its always frantic and I just step in.
So no extra qualifications, just experience and confidence in my skill.

minipie Wed 19-Feb-14 15:16:58

Wow Sarah, you sound amazing, wish I'd known about you when I had my prem DD! Whereabouts do you work?

SarahPatricia Wed 19-Feb-14 15:46:24

The home counties - I live in bucks but close to Oxfordshire, Berkshire and Hertfordshire borders. Most babies I work with have been born at the John Radcliffe or westminster and Chelsea.
How's your little one doing?

minipie Wed 19-Feb-14 15:53:32

She's fine thanks smile only 6 weeks prem so not nearly as severe as ones you've worked with - would have loved some hand holding nonetheless.

SarahPatricia Wed 19-Feb-14 16:08:09

Sometimes the things the mums need the most is a hug smile its so rewarding. Glad all worked out well for you smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now