This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Facebook

(13 Posts)
awwwwmannnn Mon 11-Nov-13 13:23:17

So, this morning i dropped my little one off at the Childminders, and when i was on the way to work i had a little nose on FB. As i was going through my newsfeed i noticed that CM had made quite a few "status updates" and added new photos and commented on others of friends (none of my DC).

I really don't know why but this peeved me a little bit, as i thought why is CM on FB when she should be looking after and caring for DC.

i let it go thinking there are times i'm with DC and have a little nose on FB - really don't understand why this has got to me!!

i won't say anything to her as its not like she's done anything horrendous....

is this unacceptable or not??

nannynick Mon 11-Nov-13 13:29:55

It can be a way of letting service users (parents) know what activities their children are doing.
Photos can be an issue. You should sign something to give permission for photos of your child to be posted on Facebook I feel.

awwwwmannnn Mon 11-Nov-13 13:36:03

sorry should have been more specific - she didn't put any photos up of my DC or say anything about my DC. it was more she was on FB generally and commenting on her friends' photos and statuses, and putting her own statuses up!!

Lala29 Mon 11-Nov-13 22:44:54

I'm often on FB when with my own DD, doesn't mean I am not interacting with her. Equally, if there are a few children there, they really don't need input from the CM every second of the day. They are probably happily playing together. I think you are overreacting.

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 11-Nov-13 23:33:31

And this is why I would never have my mb on my Fb or as a cm have my cilents on my personal one

It's good to separate the two plus if either are having a bad day and want to moan about the other they can

But it's quite normal to manage to go on Fb mn etc while playing/watching children

Do you at work never check email Fb mn etc

suziesmummy Tue 12-Nov-13 11:46:43

I would be pissed off too. Nursery workers wouldn't do this. She is working, ie. Being paid to look after your DC not go on Facebook. A parent looking on whikst looking after their dc is not the same thing

suziesmummy Tue 12-Nov-13 11:47:32

blonde I wouldn't check my phone/Facebook/mumsnet while I was at work, no.

MaryPoppinsBag Tue 12-Nov-13 13:07:33

She might've been having a break / coffee / her mindees might have been asleep.

I'm a CM and I'm on Mumsnet so nur!

I work from 8 until 5 without a proper break time. So shoot me if I check my phone every now and again.

toffeesponge Tue 12-Nov-13 13:13:04

I agree with you suziesmummy.

I think that more is expected from someone who is being paid to look after a child than the parents.

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 12-Nov-13 13:53:13

cm/nannies dont get an official break/lunch where as most people in offices/other jobs do - as would a person working in a nursery

so yes many, including myself do check things/sites on their phones through out the day - if you really begrudge them for a few mins while no doubt the children are playing happily by their selves within the cm/nannys sight then you need to think about diff childcare as seems you dont trust them enough to know when to stop fiddling on the phone

it is healthy for children to learn to play by their selves for a while, no child needs 100% attention, and if i rem correctly a cm is trying to have the same setting as a sahm - ie they go the shops and pick up bread/milk ot post a letter etc or even go on the internet

awwwwmannnn Wed 13-Nov-13 12:26:06

@lala i'm not overracting as i've not said anything to CM or even mentioned it to her - i acknoweldged that when i am at home with DC i will occassionally go on FB or something.

All i was pointing out was that i don't understand why this got to me...not made me angry or shout and rage, just got to me a tad!!

busyDays Wed 13-Nov-13 14:10:55

I'm a childminder and admit to checking emails, mumsnet and a news website during my working day. I'm not really a massive facebook fan so don't bother much with that. I don't spend a lot of time on my phone though. I think smart phones have become such a big part of normal life and a lot of people check them regularly. There have been so many times when I have been having a conversation with someone and they have taken out their phone and started texting while chatting to me. I guess I have given up being annoyed by it all anymore. When I worked in an office I had my phone out on the desk all day and would check it every now and then. This seemed to be accepted by managers, in fact they all did the same! I also suspect that many nursery workers check their phones at some point during a 10 hour working day.

MaryPoppinsBag Wed 13-Nov-13 19:55:50

I need my phone on me as a childminder as it is a big part of how I interact with parents. Either via text or Email.

I also message people using Facebook email. I do tend to check FB for that reason.

I would hate to think a parent begrudged me taking 30 seconds out of a very long day to like a picture. Also it breaks up what can be very tedious day. The drudgery and loneliness doesn't disappear from the job of looking after 2 under 3 just because you are paid for it.

I am just respectful and mindful not to take the piss. I have really accommodating parents, who actually don't mind me taking their kids out and about on errands to the shops etc. I am surprised actually how much they want their child's day to be like being home with Mum rather than a formal education!

Not everyone is the same though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now