This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Advice needed on after school nanny/babysitter job

(8 Posts)
TheLastJammyDodger Sun 10-Nov-13 11:11:47

Hi,

My DS1 has just started in reception and currently attends after school club one day each week. In January I will be returning to work FT (currently on mat leave with DS2) and had intended to put DS1 in after school club 5 days per week. However DS1 is a quiet shy little boy and he is not settling well into after school club (it is a very noisy chaotic environment with a lot of older children) so now I am looking for an alternative. I thought a childminder would be ideal, but I haven't managed to find one with a vacancy so far.

So, I was thinking about the possibility of employing an after school nanny or baby sitter. I was also intending to employ a cleaner for a couple of hours each week, so I wondered if it would be possible to combine the roles.

Essentially I want someone with childcare experience to pick up DS1 from school and look after him until 5.30 each day. The role would also involve a few household chores (about 30 minutes each day). I wouldn't mind if they brought along any children of their own. It would be about 12.5 hours per week, but I can only afford to pay £100 per week gross.

Is it possible to recruit someone to do both childcare and a bit of cleaning?

Is the pay too low (we live in NW).

Many thanks.

minderjinx Sun 10-Nov-13 11:41:05

No idea about pay in the NW, but my initial thought was that I'd struggle to get any serious housework done between school pick up and 5.3o whilst looking after children. Admittedly I have three (sometimes more) but by the time we get home (often via the park), have a chat about their day, settle them down to a game or activity, put tea on, serve it up, clear away, wipe a few worktops and so , it's already 6 o'clock. I wouldn't have time to do things like hoovering or cleaning bathrooms. To an extent it might depend on your child and how good he is at entertaining himself, and whether you actually want him entertained, or just someone to "keep an eye" on him while they work, and whether you expect them to make a meal would also have a bearing.

squeaver Sun 10-Nov-13 11:46:37

What are you doing about child care for the baby? Nursery? Wouldn't it be more cost effective to have a nanny for both if them?

Alternatively could you gave an au pair?

Cindy34 Sun 10-Nov-13 12:25:32

What can be done after school housework wise will vary. Some children like to go to the park/plauground after school, others like to go straight home. Many children in my view are hungry and so a post school snack is often needed.

TheLastJammyDodger Sun 10-Nov-13 12:50:33

Thanks for the replies. Normally I walk him home from school, often stopping at the park. Then when we get home he has a snack and we play for a while. Then I let him watch TV whilst I get on with chores/cooking dinner. I guess I'm looking for someone to do something similar (but no cooking).

The baby will be going to nursery which costs £185 per week. I would love a full time nanny, but realisticaly I could only just about afford £300 per week gross and I don't think that would be enough.

I would consider an au pair (for DS1) and we do have a spare double bedroom, but unfortunately only one bathroom for the whole house.

kata0711 Tue 12-Nov-13 13:00:19

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

TheLastJammyDodger Tue 12-Nov-13 16:00:00

Sorry Kata, I am in the NW of England not NW London.

NomDeClavier Wed 13-Nov-13 10:00:51

1 bathroom isn't necessarily a deal breaker for having someone live in unless you're one of those people who likes their own bathroom space (which I totally understand).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now