Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

What would you do? Warning - a bit dull

(15 Posts)
HandragsNGladbags Sat 09-Nov-13 19:04:52

I have dc1 aged 4, at reception in very close local school.

I have dc2 aged 2, and dc3 on the way. Due in April.

We had a childminder who took DC1 to school two days a week, and looked after DC2 until midday two days a week. She has cancelled our contract as she said with all her other children she can't fit DC1 in sad. This is a shame as we booked her back in Feb for Sept start and have stuck to our agreement since then, including offering extra hours if that was a problem.

Anyway, what to do now.

DM has said she will take DC1 to school and we have managed to get DC2 back into nursery so okay in the short term. I will be taking a year off maternity, so I finish in April and come September DC2 will be at preschool every morning. I can then book them into their old nursery for holiday club.

What is bothering me is relying totally on DM taking to school. I don't think it is fair to tie her to us like that, she's retired and should enjoy herself! She is a very loving GM though and loves the thought of having DC's with her.

So... (if you have managed to get this far I applaud you)

Should I try and get a replacement childminder?
Or leave DC1 with DM and DC2 in nursery, and then let DM take them both to school after I go back to work when DC2 is starting school?

Or get DC1 & 2 into breakfast club when DC2 starts school?

DC3 will be going to the same nursery the other two did if we don't have a childminder.

Arrgghh!

OutragedFromLeeds Sat 09-Nov-13 19:29:43

I would go for childminder or nanny, just to keep things easy!

nannynick Sat 09-Nov-13 19:49:35

I am a bit lost. Are you after something for between now and April, now and during maternity leave, for after maternity leave or for now and keeping going for many years to come?

Why was DC2 only going to CM until midday?

Why would DC3 go to nursery, who would take them?

What happens on school inset days, school holidays?

Perhaps you are only needing childcare 7am-Midday, only during school termtime, is that the situation?

HandragsNGladbags Sat 09-Nov-13 20:06:30

I don't know nannynick <wail>

DC2 is picked up by DM at midday ish - at DM's instigation. I'd happily leave her somewhere all day and will do so if that was what was required by childminder/nursery.

I work 2 days which are the ones I need childcare for, I also need childcare for school hols. With the last childminder the agreement was she would have both DC in school hols rather than just one.

DH would take DC3 to nursery and the others wherever they need to go. I start work at 7am so he's in charge.

Ideally the idea was to keep the DC with the childminder from now until forever. So throughout my maternity leave, with DC3 also going when I was back to work.

However, now I have had my carefully worked out plan taken away I am wondering if I need to do that. I can take the 2DC to school and back even with a baby in 10mins. So only need to worry about it when I go back to work.

DM is great, I am just really reticent for her to be my only childcare for school drop off's. However it will only be until April... I think I have answered my own question.

This is like therapy grin

nannynick Sat 09-Nov-13 20:20:48

Would having a nanny 2 days a week resolve the issues? DM can still help other days and be cover for nanny being off.

Cost may be an issue though... any thoughts on budget for childcare?

nannynick Sat 09-Nov-13 20:24:52

How is the housework? Three children can mean a lot of clothes to wash, more bedding, more everything really. A nanny may be able to make a dent in the wash pile as well as caring for the children.

HandragsNGladbags Sat 09-Nov-13 20:26:42

I did wonder about a nanny! I think that may be worth thinking about more seriously when I go back to work, as I will then need 2 drop off's and will still have the baby to be cared for.

Money not a huge issue, we are not loaded but have got used to fairly pricey childcare with two of them in nursery so it has been much cheaper. Nannies around here are about £8 - £10 a hour, so there probably wouldn't be much in it.

Thank you for the replies nanny and outraged, it's really helpful thanks

nannynick Sat 09-Nov-13 20:34:49

DM me if you need help coming up with some realistic cost figures for employing a nanny.

You will also find cost calculation examples on here if you use advanced search and list my posts.

OutragedFromLeeds Sat 09-Nov-13 20:39:31

I think I'd hold out with your mum etc. until you're ready to go back to work and then get a nanny. It will be much easier than all different drop off/pick ups.

HandragsNGladbags Sat 09-Nov-13 21:00:06

Yes I think you are both right.

Thank you for the offer nanny, I know a couple of people with nannies around here so could have a chat with them as well. Maybe even a nannyshare?!!

Thanks again.

HandragsNGladbags Sat 09-Nov-13 21:01:08

And good point about the housework and dc washing, another thing to consider.

longjane Sat 09-Nov-13 23:49:42

Can I just comment on something

Do you think you mother might have interfere with the childminder ?

And she might do the same a Nanny

Might a idea to let her do till April and see how she goes .

HandragsNGladbags Sun 10-Nov-13 12:34:19

Hi longjane

No I don't think so. She can't understand why we need childcare when she is available, a throw back to GM looking after me and my siblings I think and also because the DC adore her.

But she does respect our decision, she wouldn't try and upset anything. I really think the problem is either that the childminder can't cope with the number of children, or she knows she can fill a space for the whole week and so we are effectively costing her money.

Which is a shame as she knew this when she booked us months ago, but never mind.

Runoutofideas Sun 10-Nov-13 17:33:12

Is your DC1 the only reason she has to do a school run? If so, that might have had some impact on why she gave notice.... I would look into a nanny option if I were you. With 3 children they are often the most cost effective.

HandragsNGladbags Sun 10-Nov-13 18:41:13

Thanks Run. No she has others I think. She had already said she won't do the school pick up but that never effected me.

Yes, am thinking a nanny when I go back will be best.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now