This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nannies: Salary Survey 2013

(22 Posts)
nannynick Fri 08-Nov-13 20:21:04

It's that time of year again... Wages Survey.

Go on, don't be scared. It will only take about 3 minutes to complete (well it took me that long, see if you can do it faster). It asks questions about where you live, age (you pick a range), your current employment situation such as part-time live-out nanny, hours worked in a week, weekly salary.

The more nannies who complete the survey the better a picture there will be of what typical nanny salaries are throughout the UK.

Nanny Wages Survey 2013

In previous years there has been a version for parents to complete - this survey is for NannyTax Clients not sure if it can be completed by non-subscribers to that payroll company.

The survey is anonymous, though does give opportunity to enter a prize draw if you wish to give your contact details (which nannytax promises to only use for prize draw purposes). They have been doing this survey for 15 years I think and for the last year or possibly a little more have opened it up for all nannies to take part, so as the question of how much to pay a nanny does keep coming up on Mumsnet and given that we do refer to the Wage Survey (2012 results here) then I feel the more people who complete the survey the better. I hope you agree and that if you are a nanny or a parent employing a nanny that you take part.

Do you feel the annual Nanny Wage Survey is useful, or do you feel the figures do not represent reality in your area?

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 08-Nov-13 20:31:56

Love the way results are nett yet we should quote gross at all times grin

If the nanny survey says nett then how the hell an we command gross?

Assuming salaries are for 5days - then according to survey I earn more then they averagely quote - and if divide into 3 days then I def earn more

Also in the last 13% for 40+

nannynick Fri 08-Nov-13 20:44:05

>Love the way results are nett yet we should quote gross at all times grin

I know, though this year the survey does ask if nanny is paid Net or Gross and if you say Gross it then asks for the Gross Weekly Pay amount. So with luck the 2013 results may give more of a Gross pay indication.

The survey also asks how many hours are worked... so I do wonder how the general result figures are obtained. I wonder how many hours a week those figures represent... 50, 60?

I wonder if they would get rid of the Weekly Net column.

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 08-Nov-13 20:47:57

Maybe they need to do a gross hourly rate rathe then weekly as a 9hr 3 day job will pay much less then a 12hr 5 day job - and I know several nannies who work 60hr weeks and as get paid a much less hourly rate then me - I earn almost as much as they do for 3 days iyswim

Let's hope gross next year - tho I have been quoting gross for the past few years and survey has been in nett

GoldiChops Sat 09-Nov-13 01:50:08

I just filled it in.... then I saw your comment Nick. Was it asking for weekly wage? Eep, I just glossed over it and put my years gross wage in. I think I may have buggered up the results. Bugger.

nannynick Sat 09-Nov-13 20:03:24

Hope they won't think you are an extreamly well paid nanny. With luck it will be easy for them to spot and calculate right figure, rather than just ignore all of the survey answers you gave.

GoldiChops Sat 09-Nov-13 20:45:58

I hope so , as I don't want the ruin the data. I'm not sure of the weekly off the top of my head, I just know the yearly gross salary as that's how it was offered to me.

nannytax1 Thu 14-Nov-13 13:22:42

Hi guys - thanks for linking to the survey! Really appreciate it :D

Goldi - don't worry at all, we do get a bit of that every year ;) We'll divide your annual up into weekly for you.

We are trying to get the survey results all in gross - and you can see that the annual rates are gross in the results. Unfortunately, a lot of nannies still do talk about net and we can't just discount their responses - so far 60% who've filled in the survey have given net, and as we don't know about their individual situations unfortunately we wouldn't be able to work out a gross for most of them. Hope that explains it a bit!

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 14-Nov-13 13:49:55

Nanny tax 1 - have you thought about doing a daily or hourly survey

As I said I can earn as a 3 day nanny more/same as a younger and less exp nanny can for 5 days so I feel my salary guide isn't what it should be in comparison iyswim

nannytax1 Thu 14-Nov-13 15:13:53

Hi Blondes, that's why we ask about the number of hours nannies work as well as the amount they earn - it means we can work out hourly rates smile

minipie Thu 14-Nov-13 15:31:32

Out of interest why don't you just ask for hourly rates?

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 14-Nov-13 15:32:39

was there an hourly section - blonde here wink

all i rem seeing is the gross amount annually for london/home countries and then other areas and rem thinking if i worked 5 days a week i would earn more then you quote

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 14-Nov-13 15:33:43

excalthy mini pie, would be so much easier, as as survey then shows yearly amount which can be so diff for part time nannies like myself

nannytax1 Thu 14-Nov-13 15:39:11

Minipie - hourly net rates are almost impossible to 'gross up' because they are so dependent on the number of hours worked, and we only ask for hour bands because they easier to work with - so we would really struggle to get usable gross figures there.

It's easier to get to a gross from an average weekly net - and loads of nannies who respond to the survey agreed net wages - so far this year it's about 60% and last year it was about the same.

Our results do always include an annual gross as well as the weekly net, so we do need to be able to 'gross up' the net figures smile I hope that explains it!

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 14-Nov-13 15:49:37

and thats why families shouldnt do a nett figure as will cost them more over time

£10 nett on a 2 day 11hrs job would be roughly £11.09 gross

on a £10 nett 5 day 11 hr job would be £13.26gross so costing employer £2more gross an hour

so a nanny used to earning say £10 may not reliese that quoting a nett figure will cost employer much more

does that make sense, know what i mean to say but not sure if words convey it

nannytax1 Thu 14-Nov-13 15:58:21

That does make perfect sense Blondes, and that's why we do always encourage families and nannies to agree a gross - it's better for everyone involved! grin

minipie Fri 15-Nov-13 12:17:48

totally agree re gross not net, just wondered why you don't ask nannies for their gross hourly wage in the first place to save all the grossing up.

or is it because you find many nannies don't know their gross hourly wage?

NomDeClavier Fri 15-Nov-13 12:35:30

A suspicious little part of me says some of those nannies won't have a gross wage. Otherwise they could look up their gross on their payslip.

That would be one way to get very accurate data - just ask for the figures on the most recent payslip for gross pay and hours worked.

nannytax1 Fri 15-Nov-13 14:29:45

Minipie - it's exactly that. It still seems the case that more nannies agree a net wage than a gross wage, so they don't know their gross wage.

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 15-Nov-13 17:59:54

as nom said if they are being paid legally then all they need to do is look on their payslips .............

so again is say £10 accurate if the families arent paying tax and ni

any way to prove of those nannies who do your survey if they are properly employed and is the nett figure right, or if its really their gross figure as not having their tax and ni taken out of their salary to get that amount

nannynick Fri 15-Nov-13 18:14:36

Id data protection act would permit it, having all the payroll companies sharing data (removing full id/location data so making it more anonymous) would I suspect give a better result.
Alas I expect the payroll companies don't want to share info, clients may not approve and data protection act may not allow it.

I get the impression that many families these days do use a payroll company though there will always be some who do not, instead doing it themselves, paying nanny via their company (no you should not do that) or agreeing cash-in-hand.

I feel the more nannies that take part the better. Survey needs to be easy for them to complete so whilst getting better data by asking more questions would that put people off completing the survey?

rm00054 Thu 28-Nov-13 15:43:37

Oh no, I did a Goldi and didn't see it asked for weekly. I put in my monthly gross wage! Oops.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now