This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

I need very part time childcare for DS. What type and where do I look?!

(12 Posts)
BornToFolk Wed 06-Nov-13 14:08:23

I need after school care for DS (6) twice a week, when I work late. The arrangement up until now is that I've had a childminder who collects him from school and then exP picks DS up from her house at about 4.30pm. This has worked great for me but the childminder has just given notice as she's not making enough money out of looking after him (bit more complex than that but that's the crux of it!)

I completely understand where she's coming from as I only need about 3 hours of childcare a week so it's not a lot of money but he's taking up a place that could go to someone else.

I'm having trouble finding a new childminder as none of the local ones seem to collect from DS's school. There are no after school clubs at his school and no external ones that collect from his school.

It's made me think about the type of childcare I really need. Ideally, I'd like a nanny/babysitter that could collect him from school and stay with him at my house (5 mins from school) until exP could be there. But as it's such a short amount of time each week, is a registered nanny going to be interested in doing that? I would want a registered, qualified person to do it, as I need someone reliable.

If a nanny would do it, where do I even start looking?

lovelynannytobe Wed 06-Nov-13 14:26:35

Why not go back to the CM and offer to pay more? I currently childmind and have a minimum amount I charge for afterschool care which is 2 hours worth. Otherwise it is just not worthwhile picking up and charging for an hour then deduct expenses I would be left with something silly like £1 in my pocket for all the running around.
A nanny will be a lot more expensive and even if you do find one registered, qualified etc ... would she want to stick around for long for 3 hours a week?

ReetPetit Wed 06-Nov-13 17:35:46

Is there another mum at the school who could do it? If it's under 2 hours a day you don't need someone registered. Or maybe someone who works at the school?
I think it would be worth you asking at the school if they know any cms who pick up there as not everyone advertises on the council list.

Artandco Wed 06-Nov-13 17:37:35

A nanny with own child might do. Especially if they don't want to do full time anymore and may have the odd other day full

minderjinx Wed 06-Nov-13 18:28:59

I agree with lovelynannytobe. Your CM probably regrets offering a place which leaves her out of pocket by comparison with filling the space with someone with more typical requirements. I suspect paying her the going rate for an after school session would still be your least expensive option and have the merit of being tried and tested. It does of course depend what the other factors were!

BornToFolk Wed 06-Nov-13 18:33:29

Not keen on asking another mum as I really do need someone reliable, not someone doing a favour. But good idea to ask at the school, I'll definitely do that.

I'll try asking the CM about paying more but I think it would have to be a LOT more...sad

How would I got about finding a nanny?

evertonmint Wed 06-Nov-13 18:38:21

College childcare student or other student? My babysitter does exactly this sort of job twice a week for another family during term time - works with her college hours and doesn't interfere with her holidays. Takes the kids home, gives them a snack, supervises while they watch telly/read/do homework

nannynick Wed 06-Nov-13 19:27:45

By a lot more, what sort of cost are you looking at. A nanny could be £10 an hour or more given the short hours involved, plus if it isn't their only job then there will be payroll to run which adds administration cost.

If your current childminder has proved to be reliable, then ask them if they would do it and if so how much. Even at twice their usual rate it might be cheaper than a nanny.

>a registered nanny
Are you needing someone who you can pay using Childcare Vouchers or Tax Credits?

BornToFolk Wed 06-Nov-13 19:40:36

I don't need to pay using Childcare Vouchers but it would be helpful if they were registered for Tax Credits purposes. Mostly though, I need someone reliable and trustworthy, especially if they were looking after DS in my home which is why I'd ideally want a registered CM/nanny.

£10 an hour is feasible. That is about twice what I'm paying now but I'm running out of options!

I really would like DS to stay with his current childminder if at all possible. I'll ask the question. I think she'd prefer to have a younger child all day though and at the moment, DS is taking up that space so unless I'm prepared to pay a whole day's equivalent (which I'm not!) then I don't think she'll go for it. Worth asking though!

nannynick Wed 06-Nov-13 20:00:05

>I need someone reliable and trustworthy

Registration of nannies does not mean that someone who is registered is reliable and trustworthy. The registration scheme, at least the one in England, does do a DBS check for new people registering, and would have done CRB check for those who registered a while ago, though that only proves that someone had not been caught doing something.
Registration of nannies is not the same as registration of childminders, it is much more a tick box situation in my view. Either the nanny meets the requirements or they don't.

For things like reliability and trustworthiness I feel you need to be speaking to people who already or have previously employed them - their references.

I was chatting with a childminder at school collection today and she was saying that full-time under 4's is what she will be concentrating on in the future, as school runs get in the way. So, yes I expect some childminders are looking to not continue with care of older children, due to it not being financially viable and due to the impact it has on daily routines. If they have school aged children themselves then they are going to the school but if they have to make a special trip to the school, then I can see that they may not want to keep doing that, if they can fill spaces with younger children staying all day.

Are you also looking at Term Time Only? Or would you be wanting full time care in school holidays?

I feel you need to consider who working such short hours would appeal to... possibly a student, rather than an experienced nanny. May suit pre-school staff, is there a pre-school/nursery attached to the school?

UniS Wed 06-Nov-13 20:09:06

if your son is school age ,he not "taking up a place that a younger child could have" CMs are allowed to care for x number of under school age and X number of U8 and seemingly unlimited 8+s ( if they chose to)

BornToFolk Wed 06-Nov-13 20:13:05

Thanks nannynick that's a really helpful post. I have no clue about the registration process of nannies!

I totally understand why a childminder would not want to do after school care. Trouble is, with the school not having an after school club and the local ones not collecting from DS's school, I am running out of options!

It would be term time only care. I've previously managed school holiday by taking leave, exP taking leave, and using family members and the odd holiday club. Also, the current CM has said that she'll be happy to have him in the holidays.

It's just these three hours a week that I can't seem to get covered! Some really good suggestions on this thread though, thanks. I've emailed the CM and will talk to school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now